Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Mic for Violin and Piano recordings?

Options
  • 24-10-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

Hey folks ,

Im just looking to buy a basic mic for my sister for christmas to be able to record some of her violin and piano music , the piano is just an upright acoustic , though we both wish we had a baby grand ha .

Anyways , Budget would be under €100 .

ANy help much appreciated .

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭auti

Hi,
    Your best bet for recording piano and violin would be to choose a large diaphragm condenser microphone. There are a few options for under €100 but as with everything you get what you pay for and when buying a microphone this is especially the case!!

One issue with condenser microphones is that they require phantom power to work. What will you be recording on? Can it supply phantom power?

A mic that I have used in this price range is the Audio Technica AT2020 and I have had some good results with acoustic guitar and vocals - although this mic is actually a back-electret design rather than a condenser. I am pretty sure that it would represent piano and violin pretty well.

If supplying phantom power to the mic is an issue Thomann are doing a USB powered LDC for €99 - the T Bone SC450. This might suit you since the microphone is USB powered and you will not require a phantom power source. I have never used this mic so can't comment on how it sounds.

The problem with buying a USB microphone is that you will not be able to connect it via regular XLR lead at any stage - it will always be limited for use with a computer.

I hope this helps!

Advertisement