Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navy Auction .

Options
  • 23-10-2013 11:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭

How the hell was she let go so cheap at the auction , must have been worth more as scrap than the 320 k they got for it .

New home in Nigerea . I believe ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

hopperdavy wrote: »
    How the hell was she let go so cheap at the auction , must have been worth more as scrap than the 320 k they got for it .

New home in Nigerea . I believe ?

Not meaning to sound facetious, but if no one else was bidding......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

It's actually not that bad a deal. If you look at the price ship breakers pay per tonne it works out at between $400 (http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/global-ship-breaking-business-booms-as-container-industry-suffers-a-883122.html) and $425 (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-11/ship-scrapping-prices-plunge-in-buyer-s-market-freight.html), that last article says it's down from a high of $490 albeit the article is a year old.

Given Eimear weighs in at 1019 tonnes

1019 * $400 = $407k = €295k
    1019 * $425 = $433k = €313k
    1019 * $500 = $509k = €369k

All very approximate but going at around the middle mark the DOD basically sold her for her scrap value, which in the current market is probably as well as they could have expected to do and better than seeing her broken up.

I would hope that when Eithne comes to pass that, given her size, she could perhaps be converted into a floating maritime museum given she was (I believe) the last ship built in Verolme and possibly one of the last ships ever built in the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Scrap is much lower in Europe at the moment.
    At current prices it would only be worth €150k. It's down to €200 a ton recently. The quality of the metal here wouldn't be great either, given the steel has been contaminated by 35 years worth of paint coats..
    http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I would hope that when Eithne comes to pass that, given her size, she could perhaps be converted into a floating maritime museum given she was (I believe) the last ship built in Verolme and possibly one of the last ships ever built in the Republic.

Agree 1000%!!!

L.E. Eithne should be retained as a floating Naval Service museum.

With the hangar space onboard it would be the most suitable NS ship to
    retain for heritage purposes. Eithne could be docked in either Cork or Dublin and open to the public - as is the case with 'HMS Belfast' in London (or various other retired naval vessels around the world, e.g. I visited several such 'floating museums' in Australia in 2004).

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭zone 1

who pays for the upkeep things like this cost money...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭hopperdavy

There would be loads of lads , like me who would only be too willing to man something like that ,

Meeting the public on a day to day basis and living out our fantasies would be ace .

If they could get an ex CG or AC heli on it I would be in my element ,

Just think of the photo ops we could have , and the stories we could tell .

This sounds so exciting ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The lad that bought it said he mite use it either as a pleasure craft or a anti pirate ship if he chooses the latar can the existing weapons be left intact and sold to him or has the navy allready removed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

roadmaster wrote: »
    The lad that bought it said he mite use it either as a pleasure craft or a anti pirate ship if he chooses the latar can the existing weapons be left intact and sold to him or has the navy allready removed them?

I can only imagine the DoD selling munitions to other governments or to the arms trade, not Joe Bloggs.

There would be loads of lads , like me who would only be too willing to man something like that ,

Meeting the public on a day to day basis and living out our fantasies would be ace .

You were funny at the start, now you are just boring. Welcome to the town of Ignore. Population, you.

roadmaster wrote: »

All armaments have been removed prior to the auction, we are not in the business of selling second hand naval artillery to private individuals, no matter what their background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭zone 1

jesus where did he come out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wonder does the businessman who bought the ship know what hes letting himself in for.

Its going to cost thousands of euro to modernise the ship depending on what he wants to do with it.

I wonder were the emer is going to go next Poland? Nigeria?

Is there other cheap dockyards for it to go?

mikeym wrote: »
    I wonder does the businessman who bought the ship know what hes letting himself in for.

Its going to cost thousands of euro to modernise the ship depending on what he wants to do with it.

I wonder were the emer is going to go next Poland? Nigeria?

Is there other cheap dockyards for it to go?

Not really. Her engine management and sensor/comms fit is as modern as you can get. If anything she is slightly over equipped for security, and under equipped for a luxury yacht. The most he'll be doing is repainting her a desired colour, and perhaps removing the space where the Bofors and it's ammo lift were located, and replacing it with a foam/water monitor or maybe more RIBs.

Advertisement