Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity Wall Insulation advice

Options
  • 23-10-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

my house had suffered from subsidence and was under pinned before I bought it in 1995. It is a 2 storey semi detached built in 1970. As a result of the subsidence there is a fair amount of cracking on the external walls. These are typically cracks that run horizontally from the top of a downstairs window to the bottom of an upstairs window. It is of cavity wall construction (4" block, cavity - 4" i presume, 4" block) and does not have any insulation in it.

If i have the cavity filled with eco bead how much of a risk is there of dampness on the inner leaf, considering there is the cracking described. Note, I don't have any dampness at the moment.

I'm in Cork city, can anyone recommend a professional who (for a fee) could inspect the house and advise.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Cavity wall bead insulation is certified and part of this certification is that a site suitability survey is carried out prior to installation and a report is done by the insulation company. This survey should include, amongst other things, a cavity inspection using a borescope.

In my experience this survey is rarely done.

If you are going to go ahead, I would advise you to insist on the survey being done, get a copy of the report and check that the cracking is covered.

PM sent

Advertisement