Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diesel vs petrol car?

• 23-10-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi everyone,I've decided to upgrade my car in the new year from a 1.4 petrol and have my eye on a few different cars.the one I currently want is the Volvo s40 or a Saab 93. I had a diesel 1.9 Audi a4 2yrs ago but encountered problems with its turbo.i dont do a lot of miles so mostly around town miles and am stuck on wether to go 1.6 diesel or petrol and would prefer something in the new tax bracket but I'm stuck on what's best long term..petrol or diesel?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Keiweb wrote: »
    Hi everyone,I've decided to upgrade my car in the new year from a 1.4 petrol and have my eye on a few different cars.the one I currently want is the Volvo s40 or a Saab 93. I had a diesel 1.9 Audi a4 2yrs ago but encountered problems with its turbo.i dont do a lot of miles so mostly around town miles and am stuck on wether to go 1.6 diesel or petrol and would prefer something in the new tax bracket but I'm stuck on what's best long term..petrol or diesel?

These posts come up too often. Maybe some actual facts might help. How many miles, what type of driving/roads, budget?

Why 'new tax bracket'? hardly new any more it is co2 calculation method. Also you pay through the nose to save not usually very much in tax so do the sums it can often be a 10 year payback.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Keiweb

Was lookin for a saloon car under 10,000 e and average maybe 50 km a week driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Was lookin for a saloon car under 10,000 e and average maybe 50 km a week driving

Firstly I was thinking why bother, then I was thinking you lucky bastid.

At that mileage no economic reason for diesel. If it was me it would v8 +.

Petrol it's a no brainer.

I'm like a child in a sweet shop when lookin at cars,currently leaning towards a volvos40 so a1.6petrol it may well be :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

650Ginge wrote: »
    Firstly I was thinking why bother, then I was thinking you lucky bastid.

In fact I'd go one further to say why bother with a car at all at that kind of mileage. I'd walk that distance in a bad week;). But yeah if you live in the back ar$e of beyond or even work funny kind of hours in a more populated area you will be needing wheels.

50 kilometres per week is less than 1,600 miles per annum. To be contemplating buying a diesel at that sort of mileage is insanity of the highest order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

These posts come up too often. Maybe some actual facts might help. How many miles, what type of driving/roads, budget?

Why 'new tax bracket'? hardly new any more it is co2 calculation method. Also you pay through the nose to save not usually very much in tax so do the sums it can often be a 10 year payback.
    this hits the nail on the head, "new tax bracket" i.e. emissions based are cheaper than same cars on CC in MOST cases. But the 08's are about to go 6 years old, so hardly new.

Im thinking of a 645 as my next car, but you have to bear in mind, the tax will be E1809 and any v8 will be a luxury car and if anything major goes wrong, it could nearly make the car a write off at the prices they are selling for now. Op definetly go for a petrol, that "mileage" is minuscule...

Costs to factor in:

depreciation
    loan interest if applicable
    opportunity cost
    tax
    insurance
    fuel
    general wear items and servicing

The way I've been lookin at it is diesel is cheaper at the pump and can go longer and you could pay near 300e less tax on an 08 upwards..oh I don't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

The way I've been lookin at it is diesel is cheaper at the pump and can go longer and you could pay near 300e less tax on an 08 upwards..oh I don't know

How long do you drive on average at a time with out stopping a few km. the problem is diesels aren't that efficient when there cold and it takes them at least 6 km or so to get to operating temperature so unless your doing the 50km a week on one journey and even then. 2860 km a year it's just so little petrol will be cheaper in the long run as you have to be doing at least 20k km a year for a diesel to make sense.

diesel is marginally cheaper BUT there is far more to go wrong and if it does, one thing with your mileage could wipe out the diesel saving for more than a decade. they usually cost far more than the petrol equivalent, and the biggest con in my opinion, its a diesel!!! Ok 1.6 on CC is E514 a year, I only see 1.8L petrols from 08 and onwards and the motor tax on these is E750 per year... yeah just double checked, there are 1.6 pre 2008... The 1.6 is a small engine for an S40, not that the S40 is a big car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Short journeys will cause certain parts to fail costing you more in the long run. Added to the fact the petrol car will be cheaper to buy, most likely have lower mileage and if you chose right the tax difference can be minimised will mean that it will be the better choice for your use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

It's a few cents cheaper at the tank alright but how much cheaper is a 08 petrol with 80k miles compared to a 08 diesel.
    The petrol will be significantly cheaper that you'd need to own the diesel a good many years in order to get those savings on original outlay.

Would an Audi a4 1.6ltr petrol be a good car to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

How does one get around the fact that some lovely cars are diesel only.

Like I don't be doing many kms these days but I would really like to buy an XF. Only diesel available (in the newer models post 2009)

Im sure you mean only diesel for sale in Ireland, you could import from uk...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Im sure you mean only diesel for sale in Ireland, you could import from uk...

There's petrol XF s? In the UK?

Personally, I'm not sure I'd take the risk on a UK import anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The XF is available in 2.0 litre, 3.0 litre, 4.2 litre & 5.0 litre petrol in the UK.

Uriel. wrote: »
    There's petrol XF s? In the UK?

According to jag uk there a 3.0 l petrol.
    No point in really getting a jag if it has a tiny engine.

I'd walk into an irish dealer and tell them in no uncertain circumstances that you want a petrol one.

what risk are you taking buying used over there, that you arent here? you would get a proper history and finance check done and then get the ridiculously comprehensive AA or RAC car check on it...

Scortho wrote: »
    According to jag uk there a 3.0 l petrol.
    No point in really getting a jag if it has a tiny engine.

I'd walk into an irish dealer and tell them in no uncertain circumstances that you want a petrol one.

I'd be buying second hand, so i am not so sure i'd have a strong influence to demand from the dealers.

I'd be looking for 3 litre

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what risk are you taking buying used over there, that you arent here? you would get a proper history and finance check done and then get the ridiculously comprehensive AA or RAC car check on it...

I don't know. I never imported from the UK (or even researched it much) so wouldn't even know where to begin in terms of what to look out for (or how to go about the checks etc)

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    I'd be buying second hand, so i am not so sure i'd have a strong influence to demand from the dealers.

I'd be looking for 3 litre

Oh right sorry I thought you were looking for one new.
    Your best bet is the uk then. I'd rather buy a car in the uk than in Ireland as they're generally better spec'd and looked after better. That said if the right car came up in Ireland I'd buy it here (eg 3.0 l alfa gtv).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Kind of in the same boat at the OP as regard car choices and budget, but I expect mileage to be over 500km per week, maybe more. I think it really has to be diesel though.

Kind of in the same boat at the OP as regard car choices and budget, but I expect mileage to be over 500km per week, maybe more. I think it really has to be diesel though.

Yeah either diesel or LPG!:)

Advertisement