Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many patches is too many?

Options
  • 23-10-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Just replaced my tyres with new set of Conti 4 seasons. While doing so I counted the number of repair patches on my rear tube. Amazed to find eight patches.

Just wondering how many repairs you would do on a tube before binning it?

Am I the only cheap fecker here!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭cassette50

One to get home if I'm out - the tube is binned and replaced when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I don't repair tubes anymore. I've had too many flats due to patch lifting (usually at the most inconvenient time!). Maybe it's down to my bad repair skills. I can get quality tubes for about £2 each so I just don't save that much buying repair kits, especially when the glue drys up after using it once.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don't repair tubes anymore. I've had too many flats due to patch lifting (usually at the most inconvenient time!). Maybe it's down to my bad repair skills. I can get quality tubes for about £2 each so I just don't save that much buying repair kits, especially when the glue drys up after using it once.

Go on............

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I just replace the tube too, also because of patching incompetence!

I once bought a secondhand bike, and upon getting my first puncture, removed the tube to find 20 patches on it.

Did you get 8 punctures during the lifetime of a single tyre? I don't think I've ever gotten more than 2 or 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

At 50c a patch, you can be sure I repair my punctures but would stop short of 20 patches. Maybe 6 or so, after that it's getting too heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I just put the cap back on the glue.... It keeps for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Maybe it's down to my bad repair skills.

Do you

a) Apply solution sparingly, allow to dry for 5 to 6 mins before applying the patch.

or

b) Apply lots of solution, apply patch immediately?

Do you

a) Apply solution sparingly, allow to dry for 5 to 6 mins before applying the patch.

or

b) Apply lots of solution, apply patch immediately?

Please, give me some credit, I don't go near my bike without checking with Sheldon first.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭cassette50

These little patches are great - you just apply them like a plaster.
    http://www.parktool.com/product/super-patch-kit-gp-2

• Advertisement

Please, give me some credit, I don't go near my bike without checking with Sheldon first.
    You shouldn't have any problems so!

Do they have a removable core? I use screw in valve extenders.

they/them/theirs

You shouldn't have any problems so!

Yeah, reading it is one thing, doing it is another!

Brian? wrote: »
    Do they have a removable core? I use screw in valve extenders.

Good point. No, 'fraid not. Neither do Planet-x own brand Superlight.

Good point. No, 'fraid not. Neither do Planet-x own brand Superlight.

Ah well.

The planet-x superlight with 80mm valves are worth looking at, they're less than half the price of Continental tubes with 40mm valves and removable cores. I only buy them because it's cheaper than most tubes with 80mm valves.

Cheers for the info.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

whats the best value patches glue kit. I'm guessing it's not the boxes you see in Halfords etc.?

Do people buy them in bulk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Leroy42 wrote: »
    whats the best value patches glue kit. I'm guessing it's not the boxes you see in Halfords etc.?

Do people buy them in bulk?

These are the only patches in the world worth buying:

http://www.rema-tiptop.co.uk/portal/index.php?page_id=117911

I buy from Halfords. Strips of the small patches, a large tube of solution and I cut up a big sheet of fine sandpaper from a hardware shop.

Replace those individually when you run out, rather than buying a new kit each time you run out of 1 item.

The halfords patches haven't failed me. I don't bother with the crayon, the chalk or the small tube thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I buy from Halfords. Strips of the small patches, a large tube of solution and I cut up a big sheet of fine sandpaper from a hardware shop.

Replace those individually when you run out, rather than buying a new kit each time you run out of 1 item.

The halfords patches haven't failed me. I don't bother with the crayon, the chalk or the small tube thing.

+1 and i usually wait until i have 2 or 3 tubes needing repair and i do them all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

cassette50 wrote: »
    One to get home if I'm out - the tube is binned and replaced when I get home.

Would agree here. The patching of tubes is just to get you out of a hole and home. Once home, I would recommend changing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

These are the only patches in the world worth buying:

http://www.rema-tiptop.co.uk/portal/...page_id=117911

Agreed. Never failed on me, while some other did. Especially self-adhesive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

snollup wrote: »
    Just wondering how many repairs you would do on a tube before binning it?

I stop at 12. I'm kinda superstitious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if you cant see the original tube you've probably gone too far

(actually on the commuter probably 2 or 3 as its lower pressure than my racer, which is bin after a puncture)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

than my racer, which is bin after a puncture)

Do you mind if I sort your rubbish every so often?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I replace the tube after the 2nd patch. Tubes can be bought cheap when buying in bulk, I club with 2 or 3 others and but a load of them (usually on offer)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Alias G

Only replace the tube when it punctures near the valve. Patches work out waaay cheaper especially when bought in bulk. What a waste of money to be chucking tubes all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

I don't bother fixing them anymore. I seldom puncture anyway and tubes are cheap!

If prefer to know that I have a new tube fitted as opposed to a fixed one, which may leak air.

Advertisement