Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for positions from Ireland (Irish address)

Options
  • 23-10-2013 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi,

In recent months I've seen a lot of positions relevant to my qualifications popping up in the UK. I've applied to a few positions already but haven't heard anything back. I'm starting to wonder are employers put off by calling someone from Ireland over for an interview, maybe they are worried people would be looking for travel reimbursements etc.

Do you think putting a UK address on my CV could help? I've some relations over there who wouldn't mind me using their address, though I'd be caught out if they asked me for my NI number at a potential interview. I'm coming near the end of my current contract so I may make the move over to the UK and try and land a part time job and job hunt for my ideal position.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

Hi,

In recent months I've seen a lot of positions relevant to my qualifications popping up in the UK. I've applied to a few positions already but haven't heard anything back. I'm starting to wonder are employers put off by calling someone from Ireland over for an interview, maybe they are worried people would be looking for travel reimbursements etc.

Do you think putting a UK address on my CV could help? I've some relations over there who wouldn't mind me using their address, though I'd be caught out if they asked me for my NI number at a potential interview. I'm coming near the end of my current contract so I may make the move over to the UK and try and land a part time job and job hunt for my ideal position.

Any thoughts?
    i done somthing similar myself. came over to the uk(edinburgh) and got a quick job to keep money coming in while i looked for better.
    theres plenty of work here imo but be prepared to work for little while looking.
    i myself came at this time last year and worked with royal mail till i got a better job and now i have a job id never have gotten back home.
    I would say being in the uk is much better as NI is easy to obtain . aswell id suggest the phone number may be off putting. maybe consider a uk phone for like 10£ in asda etc?
    They also like to do backround checks for most jobs here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Depends. I applied last year for jobs in the UK via Linkedin, and went for an interview in London. I did a phone interview for another job too, but in the end decided to go back to uni for the year, but I'm going to pick up where I left off next year.
    My biggest worry is if I got offered a job, how to sort out accommodation and get over to the UK within a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

i think an Irish address is a bit offputting to a UK employer, when i applied using an Irish address i didn't get that many responses but when i moved across and used a UK address most employers sent me an email or letter saying that they will keep my CV on file, etc.

The way i got my job is i went to each company and handed in my CV to the manager, this is possible in my line of work but maybe not in all types

Also, while i was looking for my job i applied for my NI number and by the time i started work i already had it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,768 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I got my first job in the UK through a recruitment agency while I was still living at home just after finishing my MSc. Most employers over here will pay interview expenses to UK residents but they may refuse that to an Irish resident as was my case. I interviewed twice and paid my own expenses and was ultimately successful. If you have the savings, moving over would be a plus. Also, I'd try and get a National Insurance number sorted before you move as well.
    I don't know what your area is but if you can make yourself stand out and stress in the cover letter\personal statement that moving wouldn't put you off, most employers shouldn't have a problem selecting you for interviews.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Moving over would be more of an advantage I reckon, but if they can see you are serious about moving over, applying from Ireland wouldn't be the worst thing.

I suppose if they ask "when are you available to start if successful", then that's the one to figure out. If you can stay with someone until you get set up, better again.

In relation to the NI number, how would one go about applying for one from Ireland. I assume you can't?
    I did co-op in college years ago, and got an NI number at the time. Not sure if was a temp one or not for a student work placement, but remember having to go through the application process over there. The company did it on behalf of me.

Is there a way I could find out?

• Advertisement
Advertisement