Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Rock-Star remove the 'Bad Sport' Feature?

Options
  • 23-10-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Sick of this bad sport thing. Eventually got removed from a game because I blew up some troll in his banged up car for attempting to run me over repeatedly for no reason, and I'm the bad guy. I do blow up a good few cars but with good reasons. Understand where RockStar are coming from but it's not working. It just gets rid of the people who don't take stuff from the people who do nothing but ruin others' enjoyment as well as mine for the next 2 days. Can not even play with my friends now.

Anyone else agree/disagree that RockStar should get rid of this?

Should Rock-Star Remove the 'Bad Sport' Feature? 22 votes

Yes.
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    100% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Maybe not get rid altogether but it certainly needs to be toned down as it's far too easy to be labelled a bad sport even if you are being careful.

Perhaps introduce a system so that a warning is removed after a week or so. This means that players going around deliberately trolling people and blowing up their cars are still put in their own servers, but those who accidentally blow up the odd vehicle with a stray sticky bomb aren't severely punished.

Blowing up vehicles in missions shouldn't count towards a bad sport rating and if personal vehicles are destroyed during missions they should just respawn once the mission ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

It should just be for money glitchers, its no big deal blowing up some ones car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The problem is, I'm willing to guess it would be hard for the game to know if you've blown up another player's personal car in self-defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No, but it should maybe be revised to make it easier to get out of unless you're constantly killing people/destroying their cars. Maybe duration in bad sport server increases each time you get put into one, and can decrease if you haven't been in one for a while. And making sure those put in the servers should be there. I got a warning about being put in one 10 seconds after joining a game, still in my apartment.

I was just in a game and decided to go to Ammunation. Buying stuff, all of a sudden, someone ran in and killed me. Fair enough. Waited a minute after respawning, back to Ammunation, f*cker kills me again. Respawn, see he's still in Ammunation, try to kill him (because all I want to do is buy and upgrade some f*cking guns), we end up killing each other at the same time. Respawn, see he's coming for me, manage to kill him first. Before trying to go to Ammunation again, check my bank balance, and I'm down over $20k. Some of that is from whatever guns and ammo I did manage to buy, but at the same time, he's ruining my enjoyment of the game. And that's a mild story compared to blowing up personal vehicles, lifting their vehicles in a cargobob, dropping tanks on them etc.

Obviously, yeah, it's GTA, what do you expect, just a bit of fun etc etc. But what some people see as fun, others find annoying. I'd much rather spend a bit of time levelling up, getting together money, upgrading stuff, and playing the game. Christmas game rush is here and new games will be released soon (as well as next gen consoles) which will take my attention away from GTAO. Yet in freemode, that's just not always possible because what other people want to do, is mess with people for no reason and f*ck up whatever they're trying to do. I remember I was trying to bring an Ubermacht Oracle to sell to LSC as it's one of the highest paying cars, and someone had sticky bombed the entrance. I was just trying to make a quick bit of money before quitting for the night, and instead of getting about $8k, it cost me about $5k.

It can just be frustrating. Passive mode isn't worth a sh*te because you can still be blown up in a car, or run over.

I'm all for huge battles across the city and blowing the sh*te out of each other, but I'd rather have some semblence of choice in whether or not I do that, instead of being forced to by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Change what counts as bad but not scrap it totally dont see the harm in blowing up each others cars if it costs you to replace it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭pah

When I want to buy guns and ammo or upgrade my cars I nearly always start an invite only session, do what I have to and then rejoin the main servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Mar Mar Marmalade

Was asked to play with a mate I hadn't played with for a while and had to apologize about not being able to play until tomorrow night. Something needs to be changed. Like someone said, if you have to pay 100's-1000's on a car you've blown up then what's the point of punishing further to the point I can't enjoy myself with friends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Dunno how people think it's easy/too easy to get to the bad servers. I had to blow up about 10 personal Cars last night and a few were one of the lads parking his up just so I could sticky it.

How do you blow up 10+ personal cars by mistake!?

Dunno how people think it's easy/too easy to get to the bad servers. I had to blow up about 10 personal Cars last night and a few were one of the lads parking his up just so I could sticky it.

How do you blow up 10+ personal cars by mistake!?

Only blew up the one ragged car and boom, I was off wearing the ole' dunce hat :D. I guess it builds up over time? + It's always on good reason!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

The only change they need to make IMO is to allow good sports join their friends willingly in bad sports servers for a visit if they wish thus allowing friends play together.

The bad sport servers are a good idea and helps keep the fairy servers free from trolls like me. Last night I got out of bad sports and immediately started causing havoc (standard operating procedure in those servers) and within 4 mins had half the server voting to kick which just made me troll harder.

Ended up trolling a lvl 8 for a while till I got my dunce cap back and sentenced to another joyous 16 days playing GTA the way its supposed to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I personally disagree.

If it is truly proving to be SUCH an issue, use passive mode, change server or go int a "Friends" or "Crew" only game.

This is GTA, not Animal Crossing, people are going to F*** you up just because they can or for the "LOLZ" as the kids would say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

If people had to pay the full price of the personal vehicle i.e. what it cost to mod the car, would they do it as quick? A horn can cost 25k, so if replacing a car you've just bombed hit the hundreds of thousands mark, then you'd likely not do it as much (meanwhile replacing the car for the owner is free or at a percentage of the cost). Doesn't bother me either way, just a thought - have only had one lad attack me on an ongoing basis in a tank, not even giving me a chance to get a car to leg it, so I just left the server.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think they should replace them with something that's a staple to other MMO games; namely, "Player verses Environment" and "Player vs Player" servers.

If you want to play the game where no one can hurt you, then there should be an option to join the "Good Sport" servers, renamed "Player vs Environment", and in these servers, passive mode is pretty much on all the time. Add to that any other protections you can (indestructible cars in free roam, 0 damage from explosions, etc) and make it that it's damn near impossible for player 1 to kill player 2. If you start a mission, race or whatever, that invulnerability disappears so that enemies can hurt you. And if possible, have it that a wanted level turns off the invulnerability as well.

And the "bad servers" can become the "PvP" servers where you can kill people without fear of insurances, bad rep or whatever, but accept you will be killed as well. This way, people who want to fight in tanks or whatever don't have to pick on people who want to play the game peacefully but actually engage with people who want to play their way.

If people had to pay the full price of the personal vehicle i.e. what it cost to mod the car, would they do it as quick? A horn can cost 25k, so if replacing a car you've just bombed hit the hundreds of thousands mark, then you'd likely not do it as much (meanwhile replacing the car for the owner is free or at a percentage of the cost). Doesn't bother me either way, just a thought - have only had one lad attack me on an ongoing basis in a tank, not even giving me a chance to get a car to leg it, so I just left the server.

Just stumbled across this comment, and if this was last night, I believe i was on that same server trying to take that tank b**tard down :D

I think they should replace them with something that's a staple to other MMO games; namely, "Player verses Environment" and "Player vs Player" servers.

If you want to play the game where no one can hurt you, then there should be an option to join the "Good Sport" servers, renamed "Player vs Environment", and in these servers, passive mode is pretty much on all the time. Add to that any other protections you can (indestructible cars in free roam, 0 damage from explosions, etc) and make it that it's damn near impossible for player 1 to kill player 2. If you start a mission, race or whatever, that invulnerability disappears so that enemies can hurt you. And if possible, have it that a wanted level turns off the invulnerability as well.

And the "bad servers" can become the "PvP" servers where you can kill people without fear of insurances, bad rep or whatever, but accept you will be killed as well. This way, people who want to fight in tanks or whatever don't have to pick on people who want to play the game peacefully but actually engage with people who want to play their way.

You can set your preference to be Crew Only or Friends only, therby stopping others from ruining your buzz if thats your kettle of fish

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Cormac... wrote: »
    You can set your preference to be Crew Only or Friends only, therby stopping others from ruining your buzz if thats your kettle of fish

Wonder why more people don't use that then.

Personally, I thought GTA:O would be mass chaos and anarchy; that's how I always played GTA, and expected the same when it went online...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Just stumbled across this comment, and if this was last night, I believe i was on that same server trying to take that tank b**tard down :D

I'm just after thinking I should have set Merryweather on him to distract him. Tried to put a heli-chopper on him, but it seems you need to point out the big bad bully to them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

You should be allowed blow up other cars but it you should have to pay for the damage aswell.

Cars can be easily replaced.

I'm just after thinking I should have set Merryweather on him to distract him. Tried to put a heli-chopper on him, but it seems you need to point out the big bad bully to them :confused:

Yeah, I actually called in Helicopter support at one stage but it did nothing. I didn't realise you had to set them on someone, how do you do that?

Yeah, I actually called in Helicopter support at one stage but it did nothing. I didn't realise you had to set them on someone, how do you do that?

When I call in my Helicopter I notice they only attack the player when he fires at me and damages me.

On a side note to call in's, the invisible blip one you get from Lester is the best imo :P :p.

• Advertisement
Advertisement