Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience JobBridge

Options
  • 23-10-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hello, don't know if this is the correct forum. I am curious about what people think about the value of JB. I have a requirement in a small 'embargoed' 'not for profit' Organisation, for some one to come in and help us with front line, help desk, work. I would also be interested in having someone with technical knowledge on the Server/ Networking side. JB has very bad press and seen as exploitative, I think it can be myself. Is there any merit in offering a JB to someone with the opportunity to gain real practical experience. Has anyone on here any experience from either side and what are the pluses and negatives of the situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I did a JB in an IT company exactly a year ago, I had no experience with helpdesk work or the server side of things and was coming from a career in architecture. I did have a CCNA however which was helpful. I've learned so so much in just a year and am still learning, though at this point I'm employed too.

Job Bridge worked for me in that allowed me to get experience, the experience you can't get a job without. For this to be a success you need to be able to teach the intern, if you are just looking for free labour, well then you are wasting their time.

Also be VERY clear at the beginning that there is no job at the end of the internship, if that is the case.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Nate, thanks for the response. I na glad to hear you had a positive experience. I have been doing some research and it seems it can be positive both for the person coming in and the Org. Some issues, that very rarely, will the persons stay 9 months or more. It must be the nature of the work, there must be a demand for people with industry quals and experience. Unfortunately our Organisation cannot hire anyone for the foreseeable future, so it will only be experience for the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 timothy mcallister

I know a few Non IT guys out there that have the knowledge but lack the experience, Nearly 2 years of courses behind them, network+, Windows 7 and Server 2008 + 2012 exams done, but have never worked in the field, JB has worked out ok for them getting them day to day experience on servers and desktop support, but yes it's only fair to let them know there is no job at the end. Depending on your location i can recommend a few places to get the pick of the crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Timothy, we are based in Monasterevin in County Kildare, the position is already on the JB site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Are you looking for people to do difficult work or donkey work?
    Because there are thousands of jobs going for people who have ability and experience.
    Thousands of jobs that pay real money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement