Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Business Computing and Digital Media

• 23-10-2013 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey guys,

There aren't really any up to date threads on this subject, so I just thought I'd ask if anyone has any information on this course. I'm looking to return to college in September 2014 and want to go to GMIT, but I really want to do a course I can definitely gain employment out of. Do many people get employment from this course?? Is Web design really the only option or can you go on to do things such as being a Digital Campaign/Marketing Manager etc.?

And what did any past pupils think of this course? Any information would be reeeally appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

Hi Jellybeans,

I'm not actually doing this course but I see you haven't gotten any feedback and it is a sister course to what I am doing (Software Development) so we share a number of lectures with the Digital Media class. In first year the modules they are doing are:
    • Essential Math for Computing
    • E-business Administration
    • Graphic User Interface and Web Design
    • Photoshop
    • Social Media
    • Learning to Learn (first semester)/Computer Technology (second semester)

I don't know anything about the career prospects but I pulled this from GMIT website:

"The career opportunities for this course are in web development, graphics design and digital image/video manipulation. There are also opportunities in IT training and support and in IT application. Please contact Gabriel Hicks in the Department of Mathematics and Computing via email on gabriel.hicks@gmit.ie to further assist you on your query."

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tealover6

Hi I am trying to get more info on this course but i cant seem to get anything other then whats on GMIT itself. What are the main differences between this course and the software development?

tealover6 wrote: »
    Hi I am trying to get more info on this course but i cant seem to get anything other then whats on GMIT itself. What are the main differences between this course and the software development?

As I mentioned above the first year subjects have very little difference. The only differences are Software has the Software Development (Java) module which is worth 20 credits (the equivalent of two modules) and Digital does photoshop for the year (10 credits), social media in semester 1 (5 credits) and Business Analysis in semester 2 (5 credits). The courses are combined for the rest of the modules ie shared.

I know Digital also studies java in second year but not to the extend of the software course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tealover6

which is worth more to you when looking for work, java or a combination of the others? or does it just depend on what you go on to do?

tealover6 wrote: »
    which is worth more to you when looking for work, java or a combination of the others? or does it just depend on what you go on to do?

I honestly can't answer that. My opinion on the two course is that Digital is more creative and is geared towards what the end user sees on their PC. Software is more concerned with what's going on "under the hood".

My advice (which comes with a disclaimer!) would be to go with what you are more interested in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement