Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerosene smell after leak - Dehumidifier

Options
  • 23-10-2013 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi

I had a minor kerosene leak to my internal oil boiler about 3 months ago. The kerosene leaked along the feed pipe and leaked into the wall cavity behind the boiler leading to strong smell in 2 rooms. The leak is resolved and the walls seems to be drying slowly but the smell is still quite strong. Turning on and off the heating regularly to try and burn off the smell but progress is slow.

Would there be any benefit in using a dehumidifier ? The thinking being that the air around the boiler when turned on would be laden with the Kerosene fumes so extracting any moisture form the air would also take some of the Kerosene smell out ? This is just a random thought I had so feel free to cut the theory to shreds :-)

Any other ideas to get rid of the smell ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I don't know if that would be any good.
    I recently heard on radio of someone using cat litter to get rid of bad smells. Don't know if it would work for this, but a cheap experiment. I think that I saw somewhere a substance for neutralising such smells, but I have no idea where I came across it. It can be difficult to get rid of it. Maybe some holes bored in the outside part of the cavity and a vermin grille put over it, but you would need to talk to a builder about doing that.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

If you can possibly remove a waste pipe and use the hole to fit the hose of an industrial vacuum, block the hole on the other side obviously.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Maybe too late but i found where I came across the odour spray. See image.
    278734.jpg

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement