Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove annoying files from my desktop???

Options
  • 23-10-2013 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi guys, please help!

I downloaded almost 20 word files from my mail on the desktop. They created a strange second white copy that I NOWAY cannot remove!!! This drives me crazy I do not know what to do. It is written that each of the files is 0 bytes and the computer doеsn't recognize them.

I tried to delete them through Save Mode and Dos Prompt... nothing!

I read in a forum that other people have the same problem, but there is still no solution :mad:

Help, anyone? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

it sounds like you are viewing hidden temp files on your desktop. They are created when you open a file, and sometimes they don't dissappear. check your settings in My computer, folder options, View, then select don't show hidden files and folders

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SilSil

I tried this too, they are not hidden files :(

can you take a screenshot?

I forgot to mention that not only I cannot delete them, but also they cannot be moved, copied or cut

can you take a screenshot?
    of course, sorry for the question but how can I upload my screenshot here

• Advertisement

click go advanced below the post options. It should have a link to attah an image

The files are in Russian because I work for foreign website, the folder next to the white files also cannot be deleted

can you move them to a single folder..

Im thinking that they are marked system and read only for some reason...have had this before myself for some reason, and apoligies if this is what you already tried...

Try dos prompt again from windows

change to the folder (or desktop)

use attrib -s -r *.* (removes all system and read only attributes, they wont work individually if the other is set, need to be in one)
    then try delete them

Yes, but the problem here is that the file is 0 bytes, dos prompt recognizes it but it can't delete it. I can't perform any action at all, no moving, no cutting, no deleting. I am not sure that these attrib will help, however I am going to try them now. Thank you for your hints :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

What message is displayed when you try to delete the files / folder ?

Sounds like there is a process locking the folder, preventing you deleting it. You'll need to find what process is locking it and remove it before deleting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

These files normally are created when you open a word document.

If you close all instances of Word you should be able to delete them (if they're not already gone as they should disappear when you close the corresponding file).

If it's bothering you just put the Word documents you downloaded in a separate folder and open them from there.
    The temp files will then be created in the folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

you should be able to delete it in safe mode

Saganist, it says "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in...(the address)"

wexie, the white files appeared, after I deleted the original ones. They are not available any more.

jsa112, I tried this too...

Really it is a mystery for me, don't know what to do. Is it possible to be a virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

sorry missed you saying that in your original post. This wouldn't be a virus imo, do the following and we can remove it though

Download OTL to your Desktop
    • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
    • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

SilSil wrote: »
    Saganist, it says "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in...(the address)"

wexie, the white files appeared, after I deleted the original ones. They are not available any more.

jsa112, I tried this too...

Really it is a mystery for me, don't know what to do. Is it possible to be a virus?

Id run a chkdsk /f from a command prompt to see if there is any corruption on your filesystem.

Advertisement