Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car insurance help?!

Options
  • 23-10-2013 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Im 17, have had my driving lessons, have a 1.1 citroen saxo, ready to drive but cant insure it! All the quotes are 2000+!! My mother has an out of date provisional licence, and she has lots of no claims! I have got quotes with her as named driver and they are affordable.. But can i use her as main driver with an out of date licence? She has no intention of driving again!Please help 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Your mother has an out of date provisional licence? she will need to get it renewed, if she is even allowed depending on how long it's been out of date and how many times it's been renewed alreaddy , and she may need to do her test first before you could even think about getting yourself added as a named driver.
    And i dont think the no claims will have much effect as it wasnt with a full licence.

Honestly, i think you are going to have major issues getting insured under these circumstances. and 2000+ seems cheap for a 17 year old on a provisional.( i assume you havent passed your test yet?)

Sorry, not trying to be negative, but i think you are going to find it very difficult to get insured for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jay.somers wrote: »
    But can i use her as main driver with an out of date licence? She has no intention of driving again!

No, that would be fraudulent - whether her licence is renewed or not.

The main driver is the person who drives the car most. If its found that you lied about this, the insurer can refuse to pay for your own claims and persue you for any third party claims they had to pay out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Did you not check the cost of insurance BEFORE getting the car?

Advertisement