Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting vodafone unlock

Options
  • 23-10-2013 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

If i buy a second hand iphone can i request an unlock from vodafone? Ive enough credit spent tombe eligile, or would they say no because i didnt buy it new? Id like to try and do it online but this sometimes doesnt work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Spipov wrote: »
    If i buy a second hand iphone can i request an unlock from vodafone? Ive enough credit spent tombe eligile, or would they say no because i didnt buy it new? Id like to try and do it online but this sometimes doesnt work
    the network it is locked to will need to unlock it.

But If it's a Vodafone handset and you are a Vodafone customer, it doesn't need unlocking to use your Vodafone SIM

If it's not locked to Vodafone then they won't be able to help you..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

vibe666 wrote: »
    the network it is locked to will need to unlock it.

But If it's a Vodafone handset and you are a Vodafone customer, it doesn't need unlocking to use your Vodafone SIM

If it's not locked to Vodafone then they won't be able to help you..

Thanks.

I actually forgot to write id be buying one locked to voda ireland as i have the credit and ability to request a code but im not sure if theyll let me requestnfor a voda iphone not bought by me
    My sim will work fine but looking to unlock for when im travelling..

Unlikely if you are buying it on contract as they will heavily subsidise the price.

They lock them to prevent people from unlocking them and selling them on right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

vibe666 wrote: »
    Unlikely if you are buying it on contract as they will heavily subsidise the price.

They lock them to prevent people from unlocking them and selling them on right away.

near enough all contract phones I've ever had have been unlocked. The PAYG phones are a different story and all seem to be networked locked.

looks like iphones on vodafone are locked according to their website, but you might get lucky.

https://support.vodafone.ie/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1003&PARTITION_ID=1&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTRY=ie&USERTYPE=1&ARTICLE_ID=757183

a link off that page says that to get a network unlock code you need to have topped up by €127 within the last 6 months, so i'm guessing that's not going to be the case on a new phone as regardless of what you may have spent in the past, that amount is probably going to be reset the minute you get a new phone?

• Advertisement

im not sure. now that i am on a proper keyboard i can post better.

Basically this is what im hoping to happen:

I am on pay as you go vodafone for years, and im pretty sure ive accumulated more than €127 in the last 6 months, in fact, ive used them to unlock a huawei g510 in the past that i bought.

What i am hoping to do is to buy a second hand iphone 5 locked to vodafone from someone (as it would be cheaper locked than sim free) and request an unlock for this from my own vodafone account.

I am hoping that this works, as requesting an unlock for an iphone is slightly more complicated than normal phones, and i am hoping they dont insist its me having bought it straight from them. they dont even have the iphone 5 on pay as you go.

I hope this is clearer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

No, i dont think that will work. As far as I know the phone has to be registered on your account (My vodafone) to receive the NAT. I could be wrong though.

hmm. tough question, i was hoping someone might have gone through this process already.

Advertisement