Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe Smoking

Options
  • 22-10-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any info on pipe smoking! Like what type of pipe to use, the type of tobacco and how much to spend on either.

I am a former cigarette smoker but iv cut back to just the occasional cafe creme or hamlet.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There are a good few threads on the subject. Run a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Super-cheap: Corn Cob (awkward to get here, the advantages for a new pipe smoker are rather large though)

Next: Briar (decent, Petersons or similar, a rougher learning experience at the start due to briar being more complex than a corn cob in terms of what's going on. Avoid very cheap (non-sale) briar pipes as a novice.)

Unfortunately there's a rather large gap between the two of those price wise but for your first pipe I'd strongly recommend going for something that will be an easier smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭vr7

Was thinking of spending around €50-€70 for a pipe and buying aromatic tobacco. Seems to be the tips iv got by pm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

vr7 wrote: »
    Was thinking of spending around €50-€70 for a pipe and buying aromatic tobacco. Seems to be the tips iv got by pm here.

Yeah, that sounds fine. Most people find the aromatics easier to start with. Which aromatic varies hugely from person to person, personally I find citrus ones to be intolerable but very much enjoy black cherry tobaccos but I've talked to people who would be the opposite. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

nesf wrote: »
    Super-cheap: Corn Cob (awkward to get here, the advantages for a new pipe smoker are rather large though)...
    Glad to see that somebody else appreciates corn-cob pipes.

I find them cheap rather than super-cheap (when I can find them). The pity is that they don't last very long: you truly smoke these pipes in the sense that they burn along with the tobacco.

• Advertisement
Advertisement