Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child benefit

Options
  • 22-10-2013 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

jus a quick query. does child benifit stop been paid when a child reaches 18 years of age or when they finish their leaving cert? she has just turned 18 this month but has only started her 6th year!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Child benefit end at 16 unless the child is in full time education or training then it finishes at 18. I don't think there is any leeway even if they are still at school. My chap is in the same boat he'll be 18 in June and starting 6year in sept. All because I didn't send him to school until he was 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Child benefit stops the month the child is 18 and thats it , no more whether in school or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Child benefit end at 16 unless the child is in full time education or training then it finishes at 18. I don't think there is any leeway even if they are still at school. My chap is in the same boat he'll be 18 in June and starting 6year in sept. All because I didn't send him to school until he was 5

there used to be leeway if they were in full time education up until 23, this has been changed to 18 years of age and thats it... :(

i don't see how sending them to school at 4 or 5 made a difference though? you still get 18 years of payments regardless?

hoodwinked wrote: »
    there used to be leeway if they were in full time education up until 23, this has been changed to 18 years of age and thats it... :(

i don't see how sending them to school at 4 or 5 made a difference though? you still get 18 years of payments regardless?

Child benefit was never paid until age 22/23. If you have a SW payment, eg One parent Family payment, you could get the child dependent part, €29.80, until the child was 22 if that child was in full time education.
    Child benefit was paid until the 19th birthday, but about two Budgets ago it was pulled back to 18th birthday.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Child benefit was never paid until age 22/23. If you have a SW payment, eg One parent Family payment, you could get the child dependent part, €29.80, until the child was 22 if that child was in full time education.
    Child benefit was paid until the 19th birthday, but about two Budgets ago it was pulled back to 18th birthday.

it was a good few years back i remember having to get my college to sign the form , my mother wasn't on opf or any other sw payment but she got it for me until i was 23 as i was in full time education. :confused:

i was hoping they would change it back to that, but now i'm wondering how that worked! :confused: double edit: apparently i was right!

but either way its 18 years now regardless of education or not! :(

• Advertisement

it was a good few years back i remember having to get my college to sign the form , my mother wasn't on opf or any other sw payment but she got it for me until i was 23 as i was in full time education. :confused:

i was hoping they would change it back to that, but now i'm wondering how that worked! :confused:

but either way its 18 years now regardless of education or not! :(
    your memory fails you!! your mother didnt get Child Benefit for you until 23. If you were between 16 and19 and in college she had to ask the college to sign a form, but not 23. I am100% certain of this.

your memory fails you!! your mother didnt get Child Benefit for you until 23. If you were between 16 and19 and in college she had to ask the college to sign a form, but not 23. I am100% certain of this.

apparently i was right and it was 23, sure i was only 18 starting college anyway! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

If he had started school at 4 he would have been doing his leaving the same month as turning 18 but because he started at 5 he will be 19 so he will have a complete year at 2nd level with no CB. At least if he had finished school I could kick him out and down the mines to work but I suppose I'll have to let him complete his education :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Child benefit was never paid until age 22/23. .
    It was - if the child stayed in full time education

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Can confirm this, as my mother got it for me.

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »

thank you guys! thought i was going crazy as i remembered having to bring those forms into the college admin office! :o

thank you guys! thought i was going crazy as i remembered having to bring those forms into the college admin office! :o

It was ages ago mind you, I started veterinary nursing in September 2006 at 19 years of age and I had to bring in the form to get stamped. I left when I was almost 21, but my mother was still getting paid for me at that stage, and I had to bring in a form at the start of second year to confirm I was still there. She got two months payment for me at 22 when I moved to a new course, but got cut off when I turned 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭July Rain

She was frauding so because 19 was the cut off age for child benifit from 1986-2009. It fell back to 18 from January 2010

It was ages ago mind you, I started veterinary nursing in September 2006 at 19 years of age and I had to bring in the form to get stamped. I left when I was almost 21, but my mother was still getting paid for me at that stage, and I had to bring in a form at the start of second year to confirm I was still there. She got two months payment for me at 22 when I moved to a new course, but got cut off when I turned 23.

it was over 10 years ago for me too... hence my memory of it isn't too great

July Rain wrote: »
    She was frauding so because 19 was the cut off age for child benifit from 1986-2009. It fell back to 18 from January 2010

I think you will find she most certainly was not, as she rang and explained that I still lived at home and would be attending college and she was sent out a form and approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I think you will find she most certainly was not, as she rang and explained that I still lived at home and would be attending college and she was sent out a form and approved.

Were your parents in receipt of a welfare payment at that time?

Were your parents in receipt of a welfare payment at that time?

My mother, yes. Father was not in the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭July Rain

In that case it was one parent allowance or Fis(or both) your mom was getting. here is a dail answer from the late Seamus Brennan in 2007 which confirms cb stopped at 19.,http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2007/03/01/00116.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

My mother, yes. Father was not in the picture.

In that case it was most likely that you had to get the forms signed by the college for your mum to continue to receive the Child Dependant payment for you and not the Child Benefit payment. IIRC Child Benefit was never paid beyond the 19th birthday, as previous posters have already alluded to.

In that case it was most likely that you had to get the forms signed by the college for your mum to continue to receive the Child Dependant payment for you and not the Child Benefit payment. IIRC Child Benefit was never paid beyond the 19th birthday, as previous posters have already alluded to.

Apologies, maybe that was it then. I was under the illusion it was child benefit, although its quite possible that's what my mother thought it was too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 girliegirl09

anyone tell me please what date child benefit 1st payment in jan 2014 as it is a bank holiday i am paid in the post office..... i am sooo broke if anyone knows pls tell me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Payments due for Wednesday 1 January 2014 may be collected from Tuesday 31 December 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Is CB not paid on the first Tuesday of the month tho ?.

That would mean its due on 7th Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Perry sure its the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Yes it's the 1st Tuesday of the month which is 7th janurary

Advertisement