Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post lost my parcel. What can I do?

Options
  • 22-10-2013 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I bought some make up brushes off online and one day came home to see that I got one of those 'Missed delivery' notices. I went online and paid for redelivery but my package never came. After getting onto An Post, I've been given excuses over and over again. First they told me the postman definitely delivered it but when I suggested maybe he gave it to the wrong address (a mistake he's made before numerous times), they said they couldn't check. Then they were doing this and that and eventually told me that they just didn't have the package, it was lost. I filled out a missing package form which I never heard back about and I rang them, sent out all my records of dealings with them to them which they forwarded to some dispatch place in Little Island which I never heard back from either and was given no details on how to contact this place to follow up.

Basically, they just emailed me saying 'We lost it, sorry' and since it was standard post, they won't refund the package. I didn't send the package so I didn't choose how the package was sent but I'm losing out on money now which An Post (who've admitted to losing the item) couldn't care less about. It's not the seller's fault, they sent the item and it's not my fault, I did everything I could to get it. Awful, awful customer service.

Is there anything I can do to get my money back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Senders' responsibility, I'm afraid. Unless they had it insured, they're (and you are) out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I bought some make up brushes off online and one day came home to see that I got one of those 'Missed delivery' notices. I went online and paid for redelivery but my package never came. After getting onto An Post, I've been given excuses over and over again. First they told me the postman definitely delivered it but when I suggested maybe he gave it to the wrong address (a mistake he's made before numerous times), they said they couldn't check. Then they were doing this and that and eventually told me that they just didn't have the package, it was lost. I filled out a missing package form which I never heard back about and I rang them, sent out all my records of dealings with them to them which they forwarded to some dispatch place in Little Island which I never heard back from either and was given no details on how to contact this place to follow up.

Basically, they just emailed me saying 'We lost it, sorry' and since it was standard post, they won't refund the package. I didn't send the package so I didn't choose how the package was sent but I'm losing out on money now which An Post (who've admitted to losing the item) couldn't care less about. It's not the seller's fault, they sent the item and it's not my fault, I did everything I could to get it. Awful, awful customer service.

Is there anything I can do to get my money back?

Hi unfortunately im not sure there is much you can do. In previous experience they have told me that if it was sent by registered post, it would be no problem to sort out but as it was sent by standard post, there have no way of finding out where it ended up! Id say you will get the same response from everyone in An Post.

I actually just logged a complaint with An Post today. I got a letter yesterday that is so badly water damaged that I cannot read a single word on the page. The envelope has nearly completely disintegrated and is ripped open along the top and all the dye from the inside of the envelope has stained the letter itself. I was shocked An Post even delivered a letter of that condition through my door. It will be interesting to see if I get a response back!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Senders' responsibility, I'm afraid. Unless they had it insured, they're (and you are) out of luck.

Yes, it is the responsibility of the sender, however, you are not out of luck. I assume you paid the seller for delivery, so until you receive the package it is up to the sender to resolve and/or replace the package.

If you don't get the item, and the seller refuses to send another, then you should contact your credit card company or paypal (depending on method of payment), and lodge a complaint.

You paid for an item, but you have not received the item. It is up to the sender to ensure you get what you paid for.

Paulw wrote: »
    Yes, it is the responsibility of the sender, however, you are not out of luck. I assume you paid the seller for delivery, so until you receive the package it is up to the sender to resolve and/or replace the package.

If you don't get the item, and the seller refuses to send another, then you should contact your credit card company or paypal (depending on method of payment), and lodge a complaint.

You paid for an item, but you have not received the item. It is up to the sender to ensure you get what you paid for.

You could be right there. But if the seller had proof that it was sent, surely that would be sufficient for the seller to prove they have done their part? Would it not be in the hands of An Post...or even the buyer then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Why did you pay for redelivery? If I get a missed delivery notice in the letter box I then pick it up from the sorting office.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Ashbx wrote: »
    You could be right there. But if the seller had proof that it was sent, surely that would be sufficient for the seller to prove they have done their part? Would it not be in the hands of An Post...or even the buyer then?

You are not paying for sending, you are paying for delivery. So, until the item is delivered (to you), then the sender has not fulfilled their obligation. Proof of sending is irrelevant.

The contract of delivery is between the sender and the delivery agent (An Post). The OP is not party to that contract.

The OP has a contract with the seller for the item and delivery of the item. Until the item is delivered, the responsibility for completion of that contract is with the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Batman Lannister

dearg lady wrote: »
    Why did you pay for redelivery? If I get a missed delivery notice in the letter box I then pick it up from the sorting office.

I had no way of getting there. If they offer and charge for the service, they should fulfill it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I had no way of getting there. If they offer and charge for the service, they should fulfill it.

I just never heard of this before. The slip they drop into me I think also had a section where the item could be sent to another address but I don't remember anything about a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I fyou paid them for redelivery then sure they're liable to refund you for that, at least

Paulw wrote: »
    You are not paying for sending, you are paying for delivery. So, until the item is delivered (to you), then the sender has not fulfilled their obligation. Proof of sending is irrelevant.

The contract of delivery is between the sender and the delivery agent (An Post). The OP is not party to that contract.

The OP has a contract with the seller for the item and delivery of the item. Until the item is delivered, the responsibility for completion of that contract is with the seller.

Good point actually! Either way, I dont think there is much the OP can do unfortunately!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP forward the email that you received from an post on to the seller and tell them that you have not received the goods, they will then have to open a complaint with an post and re-send the goods to you or you would be entitled to a refund on your card or through paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd also chase An Post for a refund of the redelivery fee. If they won't play ball, and you paid by card (presumably, as you did it online), then if they don't respond you can initiate a chargeback with your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

foggy_lad wrote: »
    OP forward the email that you received from an post on to the seller and tell them that you have not received the goods, they will then have to open a complaint with an post and re-send the goods to you or you would be entitled to a refund on your card or through paypal.

It could be argued that An Post fulfilled the initial contract by attempting delivery and then making it available for collection from the sorting office. Paying for re-delivery could be a new contract and the seller would not be liable.

Advertisement