Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would You Believe

Options
  • 22-10-2013 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

So my friend was getting his broadband upgraded .The tech (a term I use lightly ) told him his system was " incompatible " .He was running Lubuntu 13.04 that was flying on an old dell laptop .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

ISP 1st level support aren't always the most technically literate, I had an issue with an incorrect MX record in Eircom preventing their customers mailing me, guess how long it took to find a member of their support team that knew what an MX record is...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

ISP 1st level support aren't always the most technically literate, I had an issue with an incorrect MX record in Eircom preventing their customers mailing me, guess how long it took to find a member of their support team that knew what an MX record is...

This guy called to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

rebeve wrote: »
    This guy called to the house.

So he was upgrading the router itself? (which is almost certainly running a Linux or BSD variant) Sadly I still believe you...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The reason he'd have been told that is because the tech agents wouldnt have been trained in how to configure Lubuntu. Its not unusual, and from the companies point of view, it would be physically impossible to train a technical agent on every OS and every router on the market. ISP's only support what they want to support, its always been like this. I suspect the tech agent meant "unsupported" rather than "incompatible".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Why would this person be going anywhere near the customer's computer if the router is being upgraded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Why would this person be going anywhere near the customer's computer if the router is being upgraded?

He couldn`t imput the network key .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I hate when they say incompatible rather that unsupported. They don't mean the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

humbert wrote: »
    I hate when they say incompatible rather that unsupported. They don't mean the same thing.

The agent had probably never heard of Lubuntu and got scared. Happens all the time with tech support departments - Googling a problem is generally far better than calling a companies' tech support line, unless you need something faulty replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The agent had probably never heard of Lubuntu and got scared said not another one .

http://askubuntu.com/questions/250310/my-dell-latitude-d400-with-lubuntu-12-04-can-find-my-wifi-network-but-cant-a

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

set a friend up on mint 15 a few weeks ago
    ***Note to evangelists - I pumped firefox with media_hint add-on - she is delighted to be able to watch her favourite american shows now***

I had never used wifi before but she had a UPC box,,,,was still a piece of piss to set up straight away,

Please keep in mind the quote I posted about a year ago when an O2 rep said "I'm sorry, we dont support Linux."
    Respone: "Don't worry , dear, linux supports you."

Keep that line in mind for future communications.

• Advertisement
Advertisement