Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I insulate between our floors?

Options
  • 22-10-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Apologies but just posted a similiar query in Plumbing and Heating - which I suspect is the in wrong place.

We are renovating a period house - including maxing out on attic insulation.

However, one option which has been proposed to insulate between the 1st (ground) and 2nd floors (e.g. in ceiling of the floor) in addition to the attic.

The energy efficiency manuals don't recommend this - as the theory is just that heat will stay in the house in the bedrooms, etc.

However, my suspicion is that:

A. It might allow us to have a more comfortable and faster-heating donwstairs rooms. (We have 2 large drawing rooms with 3.5 metre ceilings downstairs - which might turn into ice-boxes in the winter)? (Due to the nature of the structure - wall insulation is not an option - interior or exterior.)

B. Creating insulated floors will help us with zoning (we're putting in heating zones and TRVs) and will be aiming to create different temperatures and timings in the sleeping (upstairs) vs living (downstairs) areas of the house?

Any insights or experiences here?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

with insulation between floors or internal walls and if the temp between space is to great, will you have an issue with mould where cold air meeting warmer moist air condenses?

are the external walls ornate or have they covings etc? can you dryline them with suitable calcium silicate products or similar? ie can you just heat the whole internal space?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Depending on the situation and how the floors are constructed, the insulation between floors might be considered to reduce any footfall noise issues .....just a thought ...( when i drop the remote it wakes the dead with the noise)

Advertisement