Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK PGCE in PE. Is it recognised in Ireland?

Options
  • 22-10-2013 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I am currently in my PGCE in PE in England and I would like to return back home to the Republic of Ireland to teach and settle down. I know the jobs aren't there at the moment, but I am desperate to find out is my PGCE in PE recognised by the teaching council? Any information would be appreciated as I do not know how to get back to Ireland as a PE teacher once I finish the course. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

You just have to have it assessed by the teaching council like all qualifications . Then you'll have to sit the history of Irish ed exam .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭seanie69r

Thank you for your prompt reply and your info on the exam as I was not aware of that. Yes I know it will be assessed by the teaching council, however I would love to know if people have had a PGCE in PE assessed before and what was the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

It all depends on what is your course , no definitive answer . If you said which college others might have had the same course assessed and will be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

If you register as a teacher in the UK and have a UK teacher number, you are entitled under EU law to be registered in Ireland too.
    As has been said, the teaching council will have to assess your qualifications (€290 charge for that).
    Also they will ask for, amongst other things, a course handbook stamped, list of subjects, official transcripts and a form to be filled in and stamped by the college.
    Also if you have lived in the UK for a while, you will need to get a "Subject Access Request" from the UK Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) to say that they have no information on their Police system about you (this is as well as the Irish Garda Vetting).
    I would imagine that a PGCE would be accepted, but you will have to go through the Teaching Council Assessment of Qualifications process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I don't know which courses exactly they did, but I have a friend who did a pgce in pe in england and was recognised here and one who did a pgce in pe in wales and who had to make up shortfalls in UL. So it is down to individual courses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement