Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Experience

Options
  • 22-10-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi All,

My son is interested in becoming an Author when he is finished school, and he wants to go into Creative Writing in college. He is currently in Transition Year in a secondary school and they are looking to place him in work experience. I want to get him something that will give him the exposure/experience that he needs to see what creative writing is all about.

I understand that once College finishes that he will need a full-time job first and foremost and pursue his writing as secondary until he get established if he is lucky enough to be successful at it. ( He does have a fair grasp of the English language already ).

Whilst there is no Publish Houses around the Limerick/Tipperary area, does anyone have any ideas as to where he could get the most beneficial experience for his interests???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

All but a small minority of authors have a 'day job' to pay the bills and that can be anything depending on his own interests and abilities. A local newspaper might be an idea but few employers are offering work experience at the moment.
    My instinct would be to keep out of it and let him find his own placement. The experience of knocking on doors, cold calling and rejection will be a good start at knowing a little about being a writer.

Advertisement