Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United 10/1 for the league

Options
  • 21-10-2013 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

This team won the league at a canter last season. Yes Fergie has gone but I think 10/1 is too big a price for United at this early stage of the season only 8 points off top. We have had some tough fixtures early on and it will take Moyes time but I think it's a good price for the champions to retain the league. I am a United fan so am probably biased.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Took Feyenoord myself a few weeks ago @26
    Down now i suppose but if they are around 10 now, they are still a beter shout than Utd because Feyenoord can actually win the Dutch league.
    There will always be 1 of Chelsea, Arsenal or City be above Utd. Hell, even Spurs might finish above them.

All 3 have a much better midfield than Utd. Arsenal even has 2 midfields that are better than Utd's

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think 10/1 is still too short.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Even as a United fan, wouldn't touch it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Wouldn't touch it although it may be a 'back to lay' bet if they can get some decent signings in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I agree with you that 10/1 is a good price for Utd to win the league. They have had a tough start to the season, albeit have performed worse than I anticipated, and I would expect them to move up the table a bit between now and Christmas. I can see LPool and Arsenal going the other way after their cushy and flattering starts but I think Cheski and Man City will be tougher nuts to crack.

Overall, despite their disaster last Sunday, I think Man City @ 5/2 is the best value to win the league. However, I would have Utd at 6 or 7/1 shots rather than 10/1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Despite yesterdays result I can't see past Chelsea for the league. Some quality players, a good mix of solid, experienced players and flair players and they have the best manager in the league in my opinion. 11/4 looks a great price to me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 447 ✭✭Pen.Island

The Jman wrote: »
    Despite yesterdays result I can't see past Chelsea for the league. Some quality players, a good mix of solid, experienced players and flair players and they have the best manager in the league in my opinion. 11/4 looks a great price to me!

Man City or Chelsea I think anyways.

I think if Man City sort their away form they'll win.

But if you look at Chelsea results theyre all 2-0's or 2-1's, which is typical Mou.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭hellfish08

United 5/1 for the league

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Now 35/1 - when was the last time they were this price !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

blingrhino wrote: »
    Now 35/1 - when was the last time they were this price !

Could be 350/1 now with RVP out for a month, I genuinely think they have no chance of winning the league and will be lucky to get top 4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Could be 350/1 now with RVP out for a month, I genuinely think they have no chance of winning the league and will be lucky to get top 4

Well they obviously have no chance of winning the league. I do agree though that top 4 looks ominously out of reach for them too.

To put into perspective, to win the league they would need to pick up a minimum of 60 points from the next 23 games. That basically means that the team that has an average of 1.46 points per game over 15 games, must get to an average of 2.6 points per game for the remaining 23, a virtual impossibility when taking everything into account (they can only drop 9 points for the rest of the season, and that's assuming that the league is won on 82 or so, it's often been won on 85-90)

As for fourth, 7 points off right now? Who is realistically going to drop at least 7 more points than that United side over the remainder of the season. Liverpool would probably be the closest bet to doing so (which the odds reflect), but even then, a Spurs side that seemed to click against Sunderland hitting anything close to moderate form and an already scary Everton side need to drop at least 5/6 points more than this United.

It's not like there have been any positive signs either - the momentum gained from the Arsenal win and the Leverkusen anomaly is long, long gone. They have Carrick injured for another few weeks, RVP out for a month - a transfer window approaching where it'll probably be one of the most distracting January transfer windows for any PL club since their (Jan window that is) integration. You'll have more speculation over the future of Rooney etc.

Bookies being so generous to United with the 7/4 price of a Top 4 finish. I'd far rather be on, amazingly still 9/2 with Ladbrokes, Everton. They are going to be strengthening in January, already have a great squad - Barkley is getting better every week and Delofeu is essentially a new signing, considering how little he featured before around 3/4 weeks ago. They might fall short, but out of all the teams they are undoubtedly the value right now.

That's my view anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Anyone know the odds for them to finish outside the top 4?? I'm a United fan but I just don't see it happening. Too much going wrong and not getting the lucky breaks we did last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Best price 8/15 with BetVictor. I can think of a million things I'd rather do than lump on an 8/15 shot and sit tight for 5 months.

Unless I was combining it with other selections, and even then, it's probably not worth it in all honesty.

I honestly don't think there is any value in the related markets except for Everton who I have already mentioned, or, if you are convinced enough by them, Tottenham at 9/4 (but you'd want to be very convinced.).*

*All of the above is only my opinion which you obviously don't have to listen to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Relegation @ 2000-1 is a lot tastier bet IMO. If Villa beat them tomorrow (which is a lot more likely than the odds suggest) they could really fall into a death spiral-games like Hull and Norwich away are no longer the gimmes they were under Ferguson and Spurs have an excellent chance of beating them at OT. I genuinely think they'll struggle to get to 30 points by the evening of January 1st and with the early season no-hopers like Palace and Stoke going through mini-revivals, who knows what position they'll be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭hellfish08

dream on sunshine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 447 ✭✭Pen.Island

Mokuba wrote: »
    Well they obviously have no chance of winning the league. I do agree though that top 4 looks ominously out of reach for them too.

To put into perspective, to win the league they would need to pick up a minimum of 60 points from the next 23 games. That basically means that the team that has an average of 1.46 points per game over 15 games, must get to an average of 2.6 points per game for the remaining 23, a virtual impossibility when taking everything into account (they can only drop 9 points for the rest of the season, and that's assuming that the league is won on 82 or so, it's often been won on 85-90)

As for fourth, 7 points off right now? Who is realistically going to drop at least 7 more points than that United side over the remainder of the season. Liverpool would probably be the closest bet to doing so (which the odds reflect), but even then, a Spurs side that seemed to click against Sunderland hitting anything close to moderate form and an already scary Everton side need to drop at least 5/6 points more than this United.

It's not like there have been any positive signs either - the momentum gained from the Arsenal win and the Leverkusen anomaly is long, long gone. They have Carrick injured for another few weeks, RVP out for a month - a transfer window approaching where it'll probably be one of the most distracting January transfer windows for any PL club since their (Jan window that is) integration. You'll have more speculation over the future of Rooney etc.

Bookies being so generous to United with the 7/4 price of a Top 4 finish. I'd far rather be on, amazingly still 9/2 with Ladbrokes, Everton. They are going to be strengthening in January, already have a great squad - Barkley is getting better every week and Delofeu is essentially a new signing, considering how little he featured before around 3/4 weeks ago. They might fall short, but out of all the teams they are undoubtedly the value right now.

That's my view anyways.

Can be done. 7 points is nothing over 23 games.

City gained 8 points in 4 games on Utd 2 seasons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Can some please explain laying a bet? I got United at 34/1 to win the league, I can lay them at 23/1. Whats the best/worst scenario in this case or should I wait to lay them a little longer???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

DonJose wrote: »
    Can some please explain laying a bet? I got United at 34/1 to win the league, I can lay them at 23/1. Whats the best/worst scenario in this case or should I wait to lay them a little longer???

You could lay at 23/1 now then for 150% of your original stake to guarantee yourself a profit of 50% of your original stake regardless of what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cilldara11

DonJose wrote: »

Here's a calculator I find handy:

http://www.betcalc.com/backlaycalc.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Cilldara11 wrote: »
    Here's a calculator I find handy:

http://www.betcalc.com/backlaycalc.php

Thats a great calculator, cheers for that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Re United I won a few bob on Sunderland at 4/1 Tuesday and I see Swansea are 6/1 tomorrow.......

Advertisement