Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JET Programme - References for application

Options
  • 21-10-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of applying for the JET programme this year. As part of the application two references are required. I have one reference I could get from my university japanese teacher. However for my last reference I'm really stuck on who I could get a good reference from. I've never been employed so I can't use an employer. I'm not particularly close to any professor or even really spoken to them much that I'd be confident they would give me a good reference.

Anyone else been in this position before ? Any advice on how to get a good reference ? I'm scared that because I can't get a good reference that my application would put me out of contention straight away. Should I just go for it and email my professors about it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

xxpopopxx wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I'm thinking of applying for the JET programme this year. As part of the application two references are required. I have one reference I could get from my university japanese teacher. However for my last reference I'm really stuck on who I could get a good reference from. I've never been employed so I can't use an employer. I'm not particularly close to any professor or even really spoken to them much that I'd be confident they would give me a good reference.

Anyone else been in this position before ? Any advice on how to get a good reference ? I'm scared that because I can't get a good reference that my application would put me out of contention straight away. Should I just go for it and email my professors about it ?
    You could try to get a reference from something where you did some teaching or tutoring or similar.

I applied with a reference from my Japanese teacher and one of my lecturers.
    I didn't talk with my lecturers either, but that one was more than happy to help me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

You should definitely ask. Nothing to lose. It will be helpful if you can provide some basic information about the programme and why you want to do it too.

If you've been involved in any community organisations or volunteer activities that's also a good port of call. Best of luck with your application.

Advertisement