Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use a new site template without replacing current one?

Options
  • 21-10-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a photography website, own the domain photoblog.ie, I'm using a Wordpress template and site is hosted by my brother.

I'm thinking of changing my website and using a fullscreen template.
    How can I use the new template while designing, testing etc., have it visible (to me or the world) but not have my current site down/replaced by the new template?

Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If I were you I'd setup another instance of WordPress to replicate your current site. You can make all the changes you want there without risking your live site.

You've also got the ecwid (e-commerce) part of your site to think about so I certainly wouldn't go making any drastic changes directly in you live environment.

If your brother hosts the site, he can probably create a duplicate site and database on a subdomain for you. Something like dev.photoblog.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭Talisman

Install a wordpress environment locally (Windows or Mac Apache, MySQL and PHP Stack) and do all of your development offline.

If you are going to have the development site online then make sure to put some password authentication requirement in front of it in order to prevent people / search engines stumbling upon it. e.g. Apache PasswordBasicAuth.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

There's a plugin for this: Theme Switch and Preview

Advertisement