Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo taking

Options
  • 21-10-2013 5:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

Is it illegal for someone to take my photo draw on it using snapchat and put it in Facebook ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

dont think that is illegal at all. maybe if it was in your house you might have rights i dont know. but if its in a public place nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

In general no it is not illegal, provided the other criteria exist as mentioned.

The use of this might be construed as bullying ~ that would be grounds for complaint.

If the Caricature brings you into disrepute or is libelous, then a complaint may lead to prosecutions.

If it's in fun, like an arrow pointing to you as you are about to fall say, probably not a matter of complaint.

However, one can always complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Red Nissan wrote: »
    In general no it is not illegal, provided the other criteria exist as mentioned.

The use of this might be construed as bullying ~ that would be grounds for complaint.

If the Caricature brings you into disrepute or is libelous, then a complaint may lead to prosecutions.

If it's in fun, like an arrow pointing to you as you are about to fall say, probably not a matter of complaint.

However, one can always complain.
    Is there an age limit - for example, can a man, possibly a paedophile, take photos of children in a public place?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Quite simply it depends on where you are and what you are doing.

Smacking your child in your car attracts a different threshold of privacy to flashing members of the public on Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

odds_on wrote: »
    Is there an age limit - for example, can a man, possibly a paedophile, take photos of children in a public place?????
    There is no specific law for taking photos of children, so exact same criteria would apply as for taking photos of an adult in public -- i.e. harassment, defamation. Such a law would be totally unworkable anyway as you wouldn't be able to take a picture of a street or park for fear a child might be in the background somewhere. Google Street View would be illegal as well...

However a suspicious looking character hanging around playgrounds taking photos of children without a good excuse is likely going to to have the Gardai take an interest in them regardless:
    Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994
    5.—(1) It shall be an offence for any person in a public place to engage in offensive conduct—

(a) between the hours of 12 o'clock midnight and 7 o'clock in the morning next following, or

(b) at any other time, after having been requested by a member of the Garda Síochána to desist.

(2) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £500.

(3) In this section “offensive conduct” means any unreasonable behaviour which, having regard to all the circumstances, is likely to cause serious offence or serious annoyance to any person who is, or might reasonably be expected to be, aware of such behaviour.
    8.—(1) Where a member of the Garda Síochána finds a person in a public place and suspects, with reasonable cause, that such person—

(a) is or has been acting in a manner contrary to the provisions of section 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 or 9 , or

(b) without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, is acting in a manner which consists of loitering in a public place in circumstances, which may include the company of other persons, that give rise to a reasonable apprehension for the safety of persons or the safety of property or for the maintenance of the public peace,

the member may direct the person so suspected to do either or both of the following, that is to say:

(i) desist from acting in such a manner, and

(ii) leave immediately the vicinity of the place concerned in a peaceable or orderly manner.

(2) It shall be an offence for any person, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, to fail to comply with a direction given by a member of the Garda Síochána under this section.

(3) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If this is a parody, I get the impression you can't claim copyright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

OP try read the terms and conditions of snapchat/facebook etc

if someone is taking pics of you ....are you posing ? or are they doing so without your permission ? are you indoors/outdoors ? where were the images taken ?

to be honest I think you should really talk to the person taking pictures of you !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 Dhl

Corkbah wrote: »
    OP try read the terms and conditions of snapchat/facebook etc

if someone is taking pics of you ....are you posing ? or are they doing so without your permission ? are you indoors/outdoors ? where were the images taken ?

to be honest I think you should really talk to the person taking pictures of you !

I did and they said they couldn't care less and 2 more are up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If it's on Facebook, you can lodge a complaint with Facebook. They will then make a decision on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Offensive behaviour seems wide open to interpretation.
    I've had acquaintances state that the pro life rallies, and 'the deluded people in them' are an outrage in the 21st century

I'm fairly sure prolife people think people campaigning to change the law on terminating an unviable pregnancy are equally offensive

• Advertisement
Advertisement