Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Online DAW Thingy

Options
  • 21-10-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Was at a conference recently and was talking to a guy from a new Irish startup for online music creation, "Garage band on the cloud".
    Has all the buzz words, online DAW, real time collaboration, cloud powered, HTML5, no Flash, integrated social network, remixing.

The website is https://musicdisruption.com/ (don't think anyone hear has heard of it yet as it just launched) but can you see something like that taking off?

I immediately thought of WholeWorldBand http://wholeworldband.com/ but that is not live and does not have a DAW as far as I can tell.

Is online DAW the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I don't know what to make of that site. It looks terrible, is a nightmare to navigate, and I can't make sense of most sections. I think we're a long way off having the bandwidth for real-time remote processing of audio, if that's what the site is getting at? But I think a subscription model, where you still use plugins locally on your own DAW, is something that might happen soon.

Anybody familiar with Photoshop will know of Adobe's Creative Cloud; rather than buy a single full license of Photoshop, you pay a monthly subscription, giving you access to all of Adobe's image applications (Photoshop, Illustrator etc) as well as cloud storage and file sharing.

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but I'm really surprised nothing like this exists for music production. For example, a company like Waves. Rather than dropping €5000 for their Mercury bundle, you pay €40 a month, and are allowed access to their full plugin suite for the duration of your subscription. If they could add file storage, a custom DAW, and maybe plugin settings being saved on a cloud, I imagine it'd be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

http://www.ohmstudio.com

Is the latest one

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mr Bob

The ohm one is a download one. And windows only.

I suppose I like the idea of being able to work on my music from anywhere, which is why music disruption looked interesting to me. And platform independence is a plus, if all I need is a browser.

@Niall - Dahlia: what can't you make sense of? you need an account to access the music creator so you have to sign up. I do think their discovery page is weird aright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

this looks suspiciously like something that i was consulted on last year. if so its sad to see that everything i advised against was ignored and and none of my ideas implemented.

if anyone knows the site owner could they confirm he's an ex salesman for a certain british satalite tv and broadband giant?

if so then i advise steering well clear as he is clueless and only out to take peoples money.

for eg, when asked about the latency involved, he looked at me blankly. the software is licensed from some new zealand lads and i can only imagine what support would be like :/

if ive got the wrong site then ignore everything ive just said.

this looks suspiciously like something that i was consulted on last year. if so its sad to see that everything i advised against was ignored and and none of my ideas implemented.

if anyone knows the site owner could they confirm he's an ex salesman for a certain british satalite tv and broadband giant?

if so then i advise steering well clear as he is clueless and only out to take peoples money.

for eg, when asked about the latency involved, he looked at me blankly. the software is licensed from some new zealand lads and i can only imagine what support would be like :/

if ive got the wrong site then ignore everything ive just said.
    I doubt it is the same guy.
    This was an Irish chap, all work done here in Ireland by a team of 2-3 devs.

Curious to hear your ideas though as you seem to know what you are talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Mr Bob wrote: »
    @Niall - Dahlia: what can't you make sense of? you need an account to access the music creator so you have to sign up. I do think their discovery page is weird aright.

I just think the site is a mess. There's too much going on, it's difficult to navigate, and horrible to look at. Compare it to wholeworldband or ohmstudio linked earlier, which are clean, well designed, and don't leave me in any doubt as to what the site is about.

I presume you're involved with the development in some way, so I don't mean to be harsh. But besides the technical difficulty of real-time music collaboration as DamagedTrax mentioned, the website itself needs a lot of work before it can be taken in any way seriously.

I just think the site is a mess. There's too much going on, it's difficult to navigate, and horrible to look at. Compare it to wholeworldband or ohmstudio linked earlier, which are clean, well designed, and don't leave me in any doubt as to what the site is about.

I presume you're involved with the development in some way, so I don't mean to be harsh. But besides the technical difficulty of real-time music collaboration as DamagedTrax mentioned, the website itself needs a lot of work before it can be taken in any way seriously.
    I'm not involved, I was just curious. I thought the music creation was done ok, but I don't have that much experience in what a good DAW should be like.
    I'm guessing you did not actually make an account, so you did not see the music creation. You should, as it is has neat things like pattern dropping, which I presume is handy?

Wholeworldband is way slicker, but they still have not released, and it seems that it is all recording actual instruments.

Anyway, I'll mess around with it a bit more unless there is something else out there that runs on Ubuntu.

Advertisement