Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Licence

Options
  • 21-10-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

Driving licence went missing. Decided to check out the RSA website to see what the process is for getting a replacement. They want €35 f***'n for a replacement. Gouging money making bull****. Can't cost them more than a couple of euro to produce. I am livid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

I'm in exactly the same boat, have to go get the form stamped in Garda station too, so lot's of hassle in addition to the cost!! Do you know if we will get one of the new credit card style licenses as a replacement?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you lost your passport you'd be paying just as much if not more, its an important document so you should look after it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The passport has always been more expensive than the driving license a leap from €15 to €35 is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

The passport has always been more expensive than the driving license a leap from €15 to €35 is a farce.

Not trying to justify the price increase but the cost of a driving license hasn't increased since 1989.

D

Incremental price increase would be preferable to be honest. When the price of something more than double you feel robbed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Incremental price increase would be preferable to be honest. When the price of something more than double you feel robbed.

In all honesty what would the difference be?

If the license had incremental price increases every so often since 1989 until now then it likely could be in the same situation which you now are complaining about.

Cabaal wrote: »
    In all honesty what would the difference be?

If the license had incremental price increases every so often since 1989 until now then it likely could be in the same situation which you now are complaining about.

My point I was expecting to pay €15, but now find I have to pay €35. If I went to buy a pint expecting it to be €4.95 but find it is €5. In all likely hood I would buy it. On the other hand if I was asked for €12 I would not pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

True but if only one pub in the entire country sold that pint you would have to pay it.

On the other hand if you didn't lose it to begin with the cost would be zero.

The whole license set up is changing soon anyway with specific centres for issuing them.

Yes I read about the new centres. Baffled as to why new offices need to be opened to issue these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭irelandrover

i paid 70 euro recently to replace my dutch license.

45 euro for the cost of the license which is the normal price and then a 25 euro administration cost as penalty for losing it.

• Advertisement

i paid 70 euro recently to replace my dutch license.

45 euro for the cost of the license which is the normal price and then a 25 euro administration cost as penalty for losing it.

Wow now that is steep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Wow now that is steep.

You should read about fuel duty and motor tax in Holland, makes Ireland look cheap in comparison, the Dutch get truly hammered on car ownership there.

Just saw this on independent.ie
    There are no changes to licence fees – currently €55 for a 10-year one, €35 for three years and €25 for one year, with a learner permit costing €35. Licences for over-70s are free.

So it is even worse than I thought. There are actually looking for €55 instead of the old fee of €15. How can they justify quadrupling the cost of the new license.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Do you know if we will get one of the new credit card style licenses as a replacement?

Yes. Old paper license is gone. All new applications, replacements and amendments get the new credit card style license. Luckily I was due to change the address on my old paper license so waited when I heard the new one was coming and was able to get the new one for free ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

YOU lost the licence - next time take more care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 killer_penguin

Quick question,

Seeing as it seems possible to get a free plastic replacement licence for changing address, would the same apply for a change of requirement for corrective lenses while driving?

I had corrective eye surgery a few months ago and no longer need specs or contacts to drive so the '01' next to my licence to require corrective lenses seems to now be incorrect.

Any one know if it's a free replacement? :D

And if so, do I just need an eye test from an optician or a GP appointment to prove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Why u wanna know

Cabaal wrote: »
    If you lost your passport you'd be paying just as much if not more, its an important document so you should look after it
    You are absolutely Right. if you lost anything else you'd expect to pay for it. They things are not just magically made. Its costs time and mney to process these important items

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 175 ✭✭sonny jim bob jones

OP wants free stuff. Where is the Rip Off exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Driving licence went missing. Decided to check out the RSA website to see what the process is for getting a replacement. They want €35 f***'n for a replacement. Gouging money making bull****. Can't cost them more than a couple of euro to produce. I am livid.

Don't lose it next time.

FYI Thats way cheaper than here in the Netherlands:

normaal tarief (Normal Cost) € 45,00
    spoedaanvraag (Emergency Application) € 80,00
    bij vermissing of diefstal (Missing or stolen) € 69,00

http://www.eindhoven.nl/producten/Rijbewijs.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 175 ✭✭sonny jim bob jones

Livid at himself presumably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Piece of paper and a bit of ink, couldn't be more than a couple of cent.
    And of course they print themselves from a machine that reads your mind and of course the machine was a gift from the fairies.
    Nobody has to check & process the form and enter it into a computer either. And once thats done they get it out to you by free magic not by post or anything.

There's usually a million excuses found for rip off retailers likes rates, insurance, higher wages etc. but from the PS everything is expected for free.
    They get wages too. They sit in offices that need maintaining and heating and whatnot. They need computer systems and a million other things to replace your license.

€35 may be on the higher side of the calculation or it may not, but I wouldn't say they're making much of a profit here.

Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Everything in life cannot be free, if you want a licence/replacement licence there will be a fee.

The RSA (or whoever) need to pay for staff/heating/lighting/rent/rates/machinery/the card etc

We should be thankful it's not EUR 350, because to be frank they have a monopoly so whatever it is people will have to pay!

Advertisement