Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decrypt a HTC One

Options
  • 21-10-2013 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Ok i stupidly encrypted my HTC one thinking i was making it secure but i was not aware there was no way to un-encrypt the phone. I have android revolution 22.0 installed and downloaded 30.0 to install on my phone but when i try to update the phone it goes into lockdown saying it cant assess the SD card, obviously due to encryption. Dont get me wrong the phone is working perfectly but i just cant update/factory reset or un-encrypt it.

There appears to be no way to reset my phone so do i have to flash stock back on? Any guides would be appreciated

Wont be encrypting the phone again

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

jones wrote: »
    Ok i stupidly encrypted my HTC one thinking i was making it secure but i was not aware there was no way to un-encrypt the phone. I have android revolution 22.0 installed and downloaded 30.0 to install on my phone but when i try to update the phone it goes into lockdown saying it cant assess the SD card, obviously due to encryption. Dont get me wrong the phone is working perfectly but i just cant update/factory reset or un-encrypt it.

There appears to be no way to reset my phone so do i have to flash stock back on? Any guides would be appreciated

Wont be encrypting the phone again

:confused:

How did you go about encrypting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

Just on the phones security menu? is there more than one way of encrypting an android? This isnt a phone off the back of the truck its my own phone that i encrypted one day thinking it'd be more secure but i never would of done it if i thought i could never get it off again or flash any new roms.

ps trying factory reset through the phone menu results in a message phone rebooting but it never actually reboots.

Just on the phones security menu? is there more than one way of encrypting an android? This isnt a phone off the back of the truck its my own phone that i encrypted one day thinking it'd be more secure but i never would of done it if i thought i could never get it off again or flash any new roms.

ps trying factory reset through the phone menu results in a message phone rebooting but it never actually reboots.

There is no encryption option in the security menu of my HTC One hence my question. Is it a feature of Android Revolution?

Sorry its under the storage menu in settings (just checked it there) i thought it was under security originally. As far as i know its there on all HTC One's

Sorry its under the storage menu in settings (just checked it there) i thought it was under security originally. As far as i know its there on all HTC One's

Ok. What happens when you untick the box?

• Advertisement

The option is greyed out it was the first thing i tried haha. From what i can see my only options are Flash stock recovery, reboot to bootloader, then factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fox_opmjys

jones did you manage to figure it out? I have the very same problem...

I eventually reset the phone through the bootloader...pain in the arse I can tell you I won't be encrypting again

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fox_opmjys

What do you mean exactly via the bootloader? I use TWRP and when I go to the bootloader > TWRP it cannot even wipe.
    I posted about it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=47800711#post47800711
    I too won't be encrypting again, at least not until the make it reversible.

I hooked it up via the android sku program on my laptop and reset it using the phone for some reason it worked then. boot it into recovery and reset it from there.

I cant remember the exact details now but i lost everything on the phone and just did a clean install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I saw there was a minor update to 4.3 recently. It was mainly a bugfix release. The bug they mentioned was relating to some people being unable to decrypt an encrypted phone.

Not sure if this is why you had this issue, but if it is, then it was a bug on Google's part, and is fixed now.

Advertisement