Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another beginner: recommendations for developing a SWOS type game

Options
  • 21-10-2013 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi,

I realize that there are other topics here related to beginners, but just hoping someone can give me some pointers for my specific need.

I am a Java software developer and work in the telecoms industry. I have never developed games before but am interested in starting on a personal project.

I would like to develop a simple game, something like Sensible World of Soccer and am interested to know how to get started.
    I have had a quick look at applications like Gamemaker but this doesn't seem to be suitable for a SWOS-type game.

Can anyone point me in the direction of languages, framework or books etc that can help me get started for this type of game?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

dartsfan wrote: »
    Hi,

I realize that there are other topics here related to beginners, but just hoping someone can give me some pointers for my specific need.

I am a Java software developer and work in the telecoms industry. I have never developed games before but am interested in starting on a personal project.

I would like to develop a simple game, something like Sensible World of Soccer and am interested to know how to get started.
    I have had a quick look at applications like Gamemaker but this doesn't seem to be suitable for a SWOS-type game.

Can anyone point me in the direction of languages, framework or books etc that can help me get started for this type of game?

Thanks!

Have a look at libgdx, its a Java library so you should feel at home with it. Can be deployed to PC and Android (They have recently added IOS support too, but I havent tried it)

I see no reason why you couldnt create a top down soccer game with it.

I dont know is this a great place to start, but it might help. I have a game called Soc-Car which is a top down "soccer" game played with cars, there will be huge differences between it, but I guess some parts would be reusable.

This is the code before I made the repo private:
    https://github.com/LAD-inc/ProIgo

Hopefully there is something of use to you there.

Something I wasnt using there, that I think would be useful is the use of sensor bodies and a action based on it. I did use that here:

https://github.com/witnessmenow/Playscape

The arena was one big sensor, and each warrior had a sensor in the middle of him, when it was detected that the warriors sensor was no longer touching the arena he would be considered out. This might be useful for lots of things in terms of your AI etc

If you have any questions le me know and I'll try give you a hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Thanks for the info.

I'd imagine AI will be the biggest challenge I have is I plan on it being single player. Any other suggestions regarding implementing AI?

I'm aware that it's a highly complex area, but some tips around suggested readings etc would be good

Advertisement