Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more cigarettes at Dublin Airport?

Options
  • 21-10-2013 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I've just come back from my first holiday in 10 years!!! Imagine my horror to discover that cigarettes are no longer on sale in "Duty Free"!!!! When did that happen??? I was flying to Italy.

In December I'm flying from Dublin to Perth, Australia. I gather from reading the forum that I will be able to duty free cigs because it's an international flight. Can someone please confirm that is the case?

Also, any idea how much 200 cigs duty free will cost me? I need to evaluate if it's worth buying my cigs here or wait till I get to Aus.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They haven't sold cigarettes on intra eu flights in nearly 4 years. With the duty applied 200 would cost roughly €95,and no one is going to pay that sort of money when you can get them for pretty much half that price in Italy for example.

They won't sell you cigarettes going to Australia, the Australian duty free allowance for cigarettes is 50 cigarettes per person and the smallest size they sell is 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭dubscribe

Well, that answers that question!

What's the story with booze - do you know? Buying duty free to take to Aus - is that worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

S'OK. There's booze in Australia. Chill.

;)

dubscribe wrote: »
    Well, that answers that question!

What's the story with booze - do you know? Buying duty free to take to Aus - is that worthwhile?

You'll have to buy any booze and liquids over 100ml in your last stop before you get to Australia.

Why do you say that? Could I not buy the 1 ltr spirits I'm allowed take in, in Euro, in Dublin, rather than at my stopover in Dubai?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It depends on the security arrangements. If there's a liquids ban like the one in Europe and you have to go through a security check while transferring it could be confiscated.

I'm still mourning the bottle of Havana Club 7-year-old I lost at Charles de Gaulle on the way back from Cuba. Never again, buddy. Never again.

dubscribe wrote: »
    Why do you say that? Could I not buy the 1 ltr spirits I'm allowed take in, in Euro, in Dublin, rather than at my stopover in Dubai?

The Australian dept of transport have a rule that says all liquid over 100ml must be bought in your last port of call before you get to Australia. This is usually enforced in the likes of dubai, abu dhabi, Singapore etc. The DAA won't sell it to Australia bound pax as many would try to claim refunds from them if their purchases were confiscated in transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Can you do that?

lord lucan wrote: »
    The Australian dept of transport have a rule that says all liquid over 100ml must be bought in your last port of call before you get to Australia. This is usually enforced in the likes of dubai, abu dhabi, Singapore etc. The DAA won't sell it to Australia bound pax as many would try to claim refunds from them if their purchases were confiscated in transit.

FFS!!!

Thanks Lord Lucan for advising me on all these rules. Of course, it makes sense given the ways things are re travelling through airports these days but OMH hasn't travelling and buying duty-free become such a minefield ...

Now I'm starting to feel old, because I can remember "back in the good ol' days... "

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Both cigarettes and alcohol are cheaper everywhere else than in the airport tax free anyway.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    It depends on the security arrangements. If there's a liquids ban like the one in Europe and you have to go through a security check while transferring it could be confiscated.

I'm still mourning the bottle of Havana Club 7-year-old I lost at Charles de Gaulle on the way back from Cuba. Never again, buddy. Never again.

OUCH... what a bummer :( - thanks for the warning.

biko wrote: »
    Both cigarettes and alcohol are cheaper everywhere else than in the airport tax free anyway.

Not necessarily so re cigs in Australia. The new Govt there is aiming to make a pack of 20 cost Aus$20 a pack (that's approx euro 14 for 20) - not good AND they've introduced plain packaging on ALL cig packs and they are really, really gross pics on them - FAR worse than we have on ours.

I'm def going to bring a cover to put my cig box into!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP duty free in Dublin airport is a rip off and seriously annoying. They wouldn't let me buy a 500 ml bottle of water because my brother had my boarding card.

Duty free in Dubai is amazing. It's about €10-12 for a litre of Smirnoff and it can be buy 2 get 1 free. Plus they are very liberal with their allowances. I seen people buying about 5 cartons of cigarettes and all they will ask is will you have issues bringing that into your destination. They don't ask for boarding cards.

The only value in Dublin airport is the cologne and perfumes. The price on them are very good

hfallada wrote: »
    OP duty free in Dublin airport is a rip off and seriously annoying. They wouldn't let me buy a 500 ml bottle of water because my brother had my boarding card.

Duty free in Dubai is amazing. It's about €10-12 for a litre of Smirnoff and it can be buy 2 get 1 free. Plus they are very liberal with their allowances. I seen people buying about 5 cartons of cigarettes and all they will ask is will you have issues bringing that into your destination. They don't ask for boarding cards.

The only value in Dublin airport is the cologne and perfumes. The price on them are very good

Well that's good to hear about Dubai, however have recently read how very seriously stringent customs are in Australia - no doubt you've seen the TV prog "Nothing to Declare" - it would break my heart to have to give up good booze - I think I'll stick to my 1 litre allowance!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Can't you buy booze etc in the duty free as you arrive in Australia - before you go through customs - at least that was a case a few years ago.

josh59 wrote: »
    Can't you buy booze etc in the duty free as you arrive in Australia - before you go through customs - at least that was a case a few years ago.

I don't know, it's been 11 years since I was last in Australia. I emigrated the LAST recession and eventually made it home - only to come back to a whimpering tiger cub and then a full on new recession - talk about lousy timing!!! :(

Advertisement