Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Weight, Whats normal ..

Options
  • 21-10-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Going unregistered for this as its a little embarrassing.

I would imagine I'm not the only woman going through this issue but for the past month its really been getting me down. I am due mid November, I have gained so far about 2 stone since I became pregnant, I am quite short so the weight is very noticeable, a number of friends and family have commented in a jokey away on how big the baby must be and how I will only loose 6 or 7 lbs at birth so how have I gained and how do I expect to loose the additional weight.

The pregnancy has not been easy and to be honest one of the only ways for me not to be nauseous is to nibble all day, also Im the kind of person that gains weight easily if I cant exercise and due to back and nerve issues in the pregnancy I have not been exercising.

I feel disgusting when I look in the mirror and Ive stopped going out much even to pick up a litre of milk in the local shop at all now, I think Im gone into hide until I deliver mode.

Just needed to get this out there as Id be too embaressed to bring it up with my partner and as far as hes concerned its completely normal and his view is that only ignorant people have made the comments to ignore it relax and get back to exercise post delivey.

Just wondering is anybody else struggling with weight gain and negative comments from others.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You poor thing, I completely empathise. I put on 10kg in my first pregnancy by the end, but I think I had gained 12kg by 8 months, and then lost 2kg in the last month again because I got morning sickness back with a vengeance. I think the normal range is from 10kg to 15kg. (20lb to 35lb... or 1.7stone to 2.5stone).

So you're well within normal range, not even approaching high. People think they are totally hilarious with comments about weight and comparing you to this person or that person. I get it myself almost daily at work... Mrs X up in finance is 2 weeks ahead of you and you're bigger than her... miss y over in warehouse doesn't look pregnant at all compared to you, miss z looks like she is expecting twins. It's completely obnoxious, I don't know why people think it's ok to compare us. Every woman is different, and every pregnancy is different. I've already put on 6kg in this pregnancy, and I'm only 5 months in. I'm totally ravenous all the time. Cannot sleep with tummy rumbling, making sandwiches at 3am.

Don't worry about it. You're not fat, you're pregnant. Yes the baby is 6/7 pounds, but there's a few pounds of placenta too and some amniotic fluid hanging around which will all go too. Also, your womb and boobs are way bigger than normal at the moment. You've a lot going on there. :) Loads of people get fluid retention as well at the end of pregnancy, swollen ankles and the like. That goes too. Baby needs food, you need food. I swear if someone asked me how I was planning to lose weight after the pregnancy I'd raise my eyebrows and tell them I had some higher priorities than offending their delicate eyes with my shape. Or to feck off. :D

I found it easier to lose weight with a baby than at any other time in my life. I didn't get a chance to eat at all some days I was so busy, and the baby liked to nap best when in a moving buggy, so there was a lot of long walks! Plus the small bit of breastfeeding I managed at the start. It takes a little time, but it will come off alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I put on 22kg during my pregnancy. I had weighed myself on the Monday morning, gave birth on the Tuesday (baby weighed 3.56kg), discharged from the hospital on Thursday and weighed myself on the Friday and I had lost 12kg by just giving birth.
    Everyone gains weight during pregnancy, some more than others. Water retention, less physical exercise, eating more all contribute to it.
    You'll have plenty of opportunity to lose the weight afterwards. Try not to let it get you down. 2 stone is not too bad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Try to enjoy it,it is the only time where you can gain weight and it has a really good ending!
    Enjoy the bump and when baby is here you will be too busy to worry about weight for the 1st few weeks.
    Lots of walking with baby and if you choose to breast feed it all helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I was 11 and a half stone when I got pregnant, I was 14 st 10lbs when I had him. When I got home from the hospital I weighed myself (more out of curiosity than anything!) I was 14st 6lbs! He weighed 6lb 13!! However, two weeks later, I weigh 12st 12lb, and I've been eating for Ireland. Hoping to get back under 11st, in time. No rush.

Everyone gains weight and carries their weight differently. Focus on eating well, don't use your pregnancy as an excuse to pig out and you'll be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I put on a load of weight when I was pregnant, over 3 stone.
    I didn't have much morning sickness but was very fatigued for the entire pregnancy and quite hungry as well.
    Just over a stone disappeared over the few days post delivery, and most of it went quite quickly afterwards.
    Tbh I've put it all back on since but that's because I didn't go back to my pre pregnancy eating habits!

You're well within a normal range, and between baby being 5+lb, placenta being another 2 or 3lb, amniotic fluid being another 1 or 2, the huge amount of extra blood you have while pregnant, your breasts preparing to lactate... That adds up to a lot!
    It's normal and it's fine. Be kind to yourself now, and st least for a few months after baby arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

2 stone is a perfect weight gain. Most people gain more than that.

I was 8.5 stone at the beginning of my pregnancy.
    Weighed 10.5 stone at end - put most of that on in the second trimester. I personally felt fabulous!
    Baby was 8lb13oz, waters and placenta were huge
    Weighed 9.5 stone when I got home from hospital
    One week later, Im 9 stone 2lb and back into my old clothes. I am eating alot and barely moving. God bless breast feeding :pac:
    You'll lose more than just the baby's weight. Don't stress about it now. Think of all the lovely walks you'll be doing with your baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 November1

I've gained exactly 2 stone, I'm due mid December.

Don't fret over it, it'll fall off once baby arrives and take absolutely no notice whatsoever to peoples rude comments. Thankfully I've not encountered anything like that.

Best of Luck with the remainder of your pregnancy!

Advertisement