Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me pick a laptop

Options
  • 20-10-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

hi everyone i am buying a laptop within the next few days and i am looking for you help in choosing one i have two in mind so in your opinion what would be the better buy it will be used for normal home web browsing downloading torrents youtube videos and the likes i dont know about CPUs or CPU speeds and all the tec stuff but i want the fastest and best one for the money
    thanks in advanced

the first one is a HP Compaq Presario A910E here is a link to the specs
    http://www.reevoo.com/p/hp-compaq-presario-a910em

the second one is an acer eMachines E442 here is a link to the specs
    http://www.simplyacer.com/eMachines_E442_1040938.html
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Check the bargain alerts, PowerCity is selling an ASUS X501A for €320.

Both laptops you linked are rubbish. The T2330 is not a Core 2 Duo but a Pentium and it is 6 years old, though it is still faster than the AMD V160, which just suxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Torqay wrote: »
    Check the bargain alerts, PowerCity is selling an ASUS X501A for €320.

Both laptops you linked are rubbish. The T2330 is not a Core 2 Duo but a Pentium and it is 6 years old, though it is still faster than the AMD V160, which just suxx.

i seen that one in the bargain alerts and i would buy new if i could afford it and going down the secondhand route is my only option and i know i wont get a mega super fast top drawer laptop because €150/€160 is my max budget but i want to get the best available within my budget unless you know of a better machine for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you need to spend at least €300 to get anything halfway decent new, you should be looking at 3rd gen Intel i3 at least if you want it to last a good few years.
    so either save up some more or get looking at 2nd hand machines on adverts.ie, donedeal or gumtree

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

yoyo wrote: »
    Moved from Comp & Tech
    Like I said I can't afford a new machine and my Max budget is 160 I know it's the second hand route I have to go and I know I will have to buy a machine that's a few year old and that it won't be super fast but I want to get the best laptop that fits within my budget

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Would you buy a tablet? I'm sure you would get a cracking tablet for that. Unless you need a dvd drive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

If I was you I would get the Samsung Chromebook, should be able to get it for 180 pounds.

Great little machine. Runs chrome OS. It's rapid, very light and portable. Perfect if you are only using the laptop for browsing and YouTube videos.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Would you buy a tablet? I'm sure you would get a cracking tablet for that. Unless you need a dvd drive ?

My wife has a galaxy tab 2 but for some reason I don't really like tablets and would rather have a laptop

smokin ace wrote: »
    My wife has a galaxy tab 2 but for some reason I don't really like tablets and would rather have a laptop

I was talking to the IT guy in work about the two laptops I put in my original post and he said that the Acer machines one would be the best of the two when I said it to him about one of the posters here saying the cpu was crap and he said it can be upgraded for less than 20 Euro easy enough in the future and it fits into my budget at 150

I was talking to the IT guy in work about the two laptops I put in my original post and he said that the Acer machines one would be the best of the two

Says the IT guy?

m1OsH3u.jpg

CdjkSEG.jpg
    he said it can be upgraded for less than 20 Euro easy enough in the future

If (and that's a big if, because there is absolutely no telling without knowng the motherboard and power specifications) the processor can be upgraded to some "top of the range" Turion processor (which costs ~€60 and is still slower than a current Celeron) we're talking about 2 hours labour.

• Advertisement

Says the IT guy?

m1OsH3u.jpg

CdjkSEG.jpg

If (and that's a big if, because there is absolutely no telling without knowng the motherboard and power specifications) the processor can be upgraded to some "top of the range" Turion processor (which costs ~€60 and is still slower than a current Celeron) we're talking about 2 hours labour.

So would you think the hp laptop in my original post a would be a better buy that the Acer emachines

Most certainly. At least it's got a dual core processor.

Most certainly. At least it's got a dual core processor.

just a quick update i got a phone call earlier from the IT guy in work when i got home and he said he found a 2.4GHz duel core cpu for 20 dollars that would drop straight into and work very well in the acer emachines laptop that i posted in the original post and he said it would cover all my needs easly and he said he would fit it for me for free so i think i might go with the acer because i like the look of it and it has a few things that i would like in a laptop like a hdmi output and a bigger harddrive and buying the acer secondhand and buying the new cpu it would still bring me in within my budget and thanks to everyone who posted in this thread

Advertisement