Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone and plan advice needed !

Options
  • 20-10-2013 9:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10

Hi all

It's several years since I bought a new phone and I had an old basic nokia.
    I've been using the wifes smartphone, but its time I moved with the times and got me own.

PAY AS YOU GO PLAN ? :

What would be the cheapest pay as you go plan with decent coverage ?

I've tried call costs.ie but can't make head nor tail of it.

I'll only be making max 1 or 2 calls a day and 1 or 2 texts at the very most.

I don't need broadband or anything like that, as we've good land line wi fi at home, and I'll use free wi fi spots if I need to when out and about.

I'm thinking of going SIM only, and then buying my own phone separately.

BUDGET SMART PHONE UNDER € 200 ?

I was thinking of something like a Samsung ACE 2 or a Huawei Ascend G300. I'll be using WIFI to surf, reading the news/sports, watching the odd you tube vid, checking twitter, and taking the odd photo, when I haven't the old ipad with me. What phone would you recommend, is there any good budget phones expected to come out before Christmas ?

Apparently there is also something called Viber as well, but I haven't a clue. If there is anything else I'm missing let me know.

Really I just want a smart phone to mess around with on WiFi and keep up a bit with technology, while being able to take incoming calls and make the odd call / text, but I don't need 3G

Thanky all. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

If you're going to be making just a few calls and text, why don't you just top up when you need too? Alternatively you could sign up to a networks deals, free texts to any network, calls to a certain network etc..

I had a Huawei G300 ascend and loved it but I'm sure somebody might recommend something else/better.

Viber is an app that allows you to call and text contacts who also have viber downloaded for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Journa

Thanks. What would be a good top up plan, how much is it per month and can you carry over the credit.

This seems good for what I might need, what is this plan like ?

Tesco mobile

12 month sim only - http://www.tescomobile.ie/priceplans/pay-monthly-plans.aspx

€10 per month - 300 any network minutes, 300 any network texts, 1GB monthly data

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Journa wrote: »
    This seems good for what I might need, what is this plan like ?

Tesco mobile

12 month sim only - http://www.tescomobile.ie/priceplans/pay-monthly-plans.aspx

€10 per month - 300 any network minutes, 300 any network texts, 1GB monthly data

If you're sure that would be enough then that seems a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Larry Bee

Hi Journa,

I'm was kinda in the same boat myself. My old Nikia 6300 was dying very quickly so I decided to get the Huawei Y300 from Meteor for €80.

That arrived on Friday morning so I got it unlocked from here for around a £3.75. They send out a 16 digit code which I put in when requested and worked without any hassle.

I'm signing up to Tesco Mobile where I can get unlimited phone calls to mobiles & landlines, unlimited texts and 1GB data a month for €15.

Hope that helps
    John

• Advertisement

Thanks Larry and Ridley.

I think I'll chance a chinese clone phone from amazon, and go with that €10/month tesco sim only bill.
    Smartphoning on the cheap !

Advertisement