Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Torch on the ISS

Options
  • 20-10-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I've just been watching a pre flight interview with the next ISS crew who will carry an olympic torch with them. Seemingly its going to be brought into open space during an EVA.

Does anyone else think that given the recent potential disaster with Luca Parmitano's EVA, that this kind of thing is a very unnecessary risk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Its not going to be lit from what I've heard. It's just symbolism. It will be tethered also.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭space2ground1

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    Its not going to be lit from what I've heard. It's just symbolism. It will be tethered also.

Its moreso that it reflects a sort of relaxation in the seriousness or risk of human spaceflight, EVAs in particular. I've no problem with them bringing it and showing it off on board, but the idea of bringing it outside doesn't sit well with my over careful nature :P

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Fair enough. People have brought all sorts of stuff into space though. From guitars on the ISS ( if anyone has seen Red Dwarf - you know that's a bad idea) to golf club heads on the moon. If the Olympic torch can focus peoples minds on space for a bit, it's probably a good thing. I would be more concerned that it's the idea of a Russian dictator to glorify his hugely corrupt Olympics than any real danger from the object itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Nail on head.. I didn't get a whole heap of enthusiasm from the crew about it. There was a mention that it was about the science and then the torch and not the other way around.

There's been some gas things brought to space. Didn't Dan Tani bring the flag off the golf course in Cork too. Proud Gaeilgenaut that he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Should get a special surrounding made and light it too.

I can picture the scene of an astronaut holding the torch, in space, in silhouette facing the earth......

...then a 'Adidas' logo saying 'Impossible is Nothing'. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Taylor365 wrote: »

I can picture the scene of an astronaut holding the torch, in space, in silhouette facing the earth......

See, when you put it like that I think its a great idea!

Advertisement