Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood damage

Options
  • 20-10-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Evening folks, I very cleverly damaged a new TV cabinet in transit yesterday (pics attached) I'm just wondering what the best way is to go about making the damage less ugly, since I'm assuming there is no way to rectify it properly? I have no experience with wood at all, I'm a metal and capacitors type of bloke.
    Currently the flap of damage does not sit flush when you put it back in its place. So presumably I will need to chisel out some more wood on the cabinet and then perhaps use plastic wood or something to add as a filler/adhesive?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

It looks like vinyl wrapped particle board (chipboard) to me. Difficult to repair, you best bet would be to brush some PVA wood glue onto the exposed core, then try and fix the broken piece back in place, when satisfied with the fit use a good strong clamp and some scrap backing pieces to clamp the lot up good and tight. Leave over night to dry and remove clamp. You could try and colour in any visible cracks/ core exposed with some artists acrylic and a fine brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Good advice from Jack of all.
    In general its best to reglue these chips rather than trying to use a filler. You will need a clamp and some pva ( woodworkers) glue.
    Make two clamping blocks from a piece of softwood and cover one side with tape ( sellotape or packing tape ) to prevent them sticking.
    Use the glue sparingly and clamp gently. Make sure the front edge is flush.You will have a visible glueline which I'd simply hide with a brown marker. Its tempting to sand when set with a fine grit ( 240 ) sandpaper which you can do but you would probably need to give it a few coats of clear lacquer ( small tins are available in autorepair shops ) if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Do what jack of all said.

Don't sand it you will only tear into the existing melamine and you won't get that back right.

Clamp the stones out of it. Be be very carefull not to stick the block to the tv unit. Ie. make sure the glue doesn't come back out of the crack and stick them when in the clamps.

To be honest you will be doing very well to get it back right with that type of repair A lot of luck comes into play.

Drive slower the next time. Or at least Strap it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Thanks for all the advice folks, I'll never understand how it fell over tbh! There shouldn't have been enough clearance to fall over fully, ah well, thanks again.

Advertisement