Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of college!

Options
  • 20-10-2013 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm currently in 6th year and planning on going to college next year. I don't live near the college I want to attend and can't afford to drive so I will need accommodation. Problem is I literally don't have enough money to pay for it and other expenses!

Seeing as the grant doesn't come through until well into the first semester I think, I will not be able to pay for even the first semesters accommodation. My sister currently attends college and is living on €10 a week for all expenses.

I don't know what to do. I really don't want to defer and have to live at home for another year with nothing to do and there is very little chance of getting a job as I don't drive. At this stage I can't even afford to go to my Debs.

What opportunities do I have if any? Neither of my parents have money to give me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Hi,
    I'm currently in 6th year and planning on going to college next year. I don't live near the college I want to attend and can't afford to drive so I will need accommodation. Problem is I literally don't have enough money to pay for it and other expenses!

Seeing as the grant doesn't come through until well into the first semester I think, I will not be able to pay for even the first semesters accommodation. My sister currently attends college and is living on €10 a week for all expenses.

I don't know what to do. I really don't want to defer and have to live at home for another year with nothing to do and there is very little chance of getting a job as I don't drive. At this stage I can't even afford to go to my Debs.

What opportunities do I have if any? Neither of my parents have money to give me.

Thanks.

that's an unfortunate situation, your still very young and usually parents are the ones to help there children get an education.

but like you I was in the same boat, I come from a family with very little money. when I finished school the recession had just begun and hit my parents pretty hard, I like you wanted to get an education but couldn't afford to do so.

best thing you can do is possibly take a year out and work part time, save your money for fee's next year. in the mean time while you are working part time you can still do a diploma in a related field if you like. It can only help.

the only thing I would say is don't get sucked into the idea of "having money" and how great it is. That exact thing happened to me and I didn't end up starting college until I was 24.

best of luck.

Advertisement