Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict Houses Dublin

Options
  • 20-10-2013 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I'm looking for a derelict house for sale in Dublin City. I have been looking online for an hour now and I've found nothing. So if anyone knows of any houses it doesn't matter if there is tree growing up through it just as long as it is in Dublin it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Alias G

Derelict sites in the city will often be allowed to progress to that state with a view to future development on the site so very often won't be for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭Archeron

N3/cabra road. Going from McDonald's in cabra towards phibsboro, one of the large houses on the left as soon as you hit the tree lined areas of the road is abandoned and for sale. Lovely big mansion of a place, steel plates over all the windows. afaik there a few abandoned houses for sale on that road.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Rathgar beside xtra vision. Certainly was for sale but may be sold, not sure. It's very derelict, windows covered up etc. Also on Rathgar road opposite the credit union on the corner, it backs on to the church of three patrons. Beautiful old house, also was definitely for sale and from reading the description it's in a state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

How derelict are you looking for.
    Theres a few on Henrietta st. that arent in the best condition.

If its a bargain your after, itd probably be cheaper to buy an already renovated house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 MrJamesW

Scortho wrote: »
    How derelict are you looking for.
    Theres a few on Henrietta st. that arent in the best condition.

If its a bargain your after, itd probably be cheaper to buy an already renovated house.

The level of derelict doesn't really matter.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

MrJamesW wrote: »
    The level of derelict doesn't really matter.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Henrietta st feels like it's out of the 19th century

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Two boarded up cottages next to each other on Wellington Road in Templeogue between Limekiln Road and Willington Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

WildRosie wrote: »
    Also on Rathgar road opposite the credit union on the corner, it backs on to the church of three patrons. Beautiful old house, also was definitely for sale and from reading the description it's in a state.

I think it sold recently.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Victor wrote: »
    I think it sold recently.
    Ah that's good. It's a beautiful house, was a shame to see it get into the state it did. Hopefully the new owners will do a good job restoring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I suspect the OP is trying to nab a bargain. But I suspect lots would be money pits

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OP, are you looking for a mansion, or a two-up/two-down, or somewhere in between?

This could do with bit of TLC - and you'd be doing the city of Dublin (not to mention the City Council, not sure if that'd be good or bad) a great favour!

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/03/09/saving-aldborough-house/

You'd want deep pockets though.....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    OP, are you looking for a mansion, or a two-up/two-down, or somewhere in between?

This could do with bit of TLC - and you'd be doing the city of Dublin (not to mention the City Council, not sure if that'd be good or bad) a great favour!

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/03/09/saving-aldborough-house/

You'd want deep pockets though.....

Properties like Aldborough and some of the houses on Henrietta st. etc should be exempt from property tax if theyre put back to their former glory.
    Such a shame to see such beautiful houses destroyed.

This house on henrietta st seems to be going the same way.
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/7-henrietta-street-dublin-1-dublin/107180

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The price tag on Henrietta street is crazy

Sorry guys I should have went into more detail in my original post. The kind of derelict house I am looking for is like the one suggested by Plates a derelict cottage or something along those lines. It is for my son next year and I plan to renovate it myself again thanks to all who replied.

Sorry guys I should have went into more detail in my original post. The kind of derelict house I am looking for is like the one suggested by Plates a derelict cottage or something along those lines. It is for my son next year and I plan to renovate it myself again thanks to all who replied.

By the time youve renovated it etc, youd buy a house in walk in condition for the same price.
    Lots of structural issues to contend with as well

By the time youve renovated it etc, youd buy a house in walk in condition for the same price.
    Lots of structural issues to contend with as well

I want to renovate it myself because I plan on splitting the building into two (If large enough) and renting the other out.

I want to renovate it myself because I plan on splitting the building into two (If large enough) and renting the other out.

Your best bet would be some old pre 63.
    Convert from 10 flats to 4 or 5 nice apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

WildRosie wrote: »
    Rathgar beside xtra vision. Certainly was for sale but may be sold, not sure. It's very derelict, windows covered up etc. Also on Rathgar road opposite the credit union on the corner, it backs on to the church of three patrons. Beautiful old house, also was definitely for sale and from reading the description it's in a state.

Both now sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

The price tag on Henrietta street is crazy

That's why we should have had a site value tax instead of a tax based on the value of the house. Houses are actually long-term depreciating assets. It's the land that has value and you'd think that if we learned anything at all from the last few decades, it's that land banking (and sitting on properties) should be penalised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

gaius c wrote: »
    That's why we should have had a site value tax instead of a tax based on the value of the house. Houses are actually long-term depreciating assets. It's the land that has value and you'd think that if we learned anything at all from the last few decades, it's that land banking (and sitting on properties) should be penalised.

A site valuation tax makes sense in America, with their perfectly square street blocks. But makes no sense in Ireland and particularly Dublin with Garden varying in size(the first house in a housing estate can have a 80 foot garden and the last having a 20 foot garden) due to fact housing estates plots are not perfectly square.

Henretta street happens to be the oldest original streets in Dublin and the houses are so cheap because they are so run down, because the conservation order on them is so lengthy, they would cost a fortune to renovate. Plus it doesnt help that they are in one of the roughest parts of Dublin and has little local services

hfallada wrote: »
    A site valuation tax makes sense in America, with their perfectly square street blocks. But makes no sense in Ireland and particularly Dublin with Garden varying in size(the first house in a housing estate can have a 80 foot garden and the last having a 20 foot garden) due to fact housing estates plots are not perfectly square.

Henretta street happens to be the oldest original streets in Dublin and the houses are so cheap because they are so run down, because the conservation order on them is so lengthy, they would cost a fortune to renovate. Plus it doesnt help that they are in one of the roughest parts of Dublin and has little local services

Big garden in a built up area (e.g. Ballsbridge) should pay more as they are using more land in an area that it's scarce. Rather than faffing about trying to assign values to houses when the market data is iffy, just work out value per sq metre and tax based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres lots of derelict houses in the north inner city,
    most of them boarded up.no for sale sign on them.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/buying_a_home/property_deeds.html

You,d probably have to go to a solicitor if you wanted to make an offer to buy .
    Better to buy a house with the roof in good nick ,
    with the 4 walls standing.
    Avoid expensive major structural repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gaius c wrote: »
    Big garden in a built up area (e.g. Ballsbridge) should pay more as they are using more land in an area that it's scarce. Rather than faffing about trying to assign values to houses when the market data is iffy, just work out value per sq metre and tax based on that.
    Without wanting to get into a different discussion, there are two competing factors (a) keep it simple and (b) prevent manipulation for avoidance purposes. Some sites have a negative value - should they have a negative tax charge?

IF a site has a negative value, it could be rated at zero tax,
    or left untaxed ,
    as some houses may not be liable for property tax,
    eg being in an estate that nots finished by the builder.
    eg i know some landlords who pay no tax ,on rental income, because their profit after expenses, mortgage, etc is zero.
    if a house is left derelict after a certain time ,the council can demolish it, and take possession of the site and build a new dwelling on it.

Victor wrote: »
    Without wanting to get into a different discussion, there are two competing factors (a) keep it simple and (b) prevent manipulation for avoidance purposes. Some sites have a negative value - should they have a negative tax charge?

Don't know if you can split threads but might be a worthwhile discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Properties like Aldborough and some of the houses on Henrietta st. etc should be exempt from property tax if theyre put back to their former glory.
    Such a shame to see such beautiful houses destroyed.

This house on henrietta st seems to be going the same way.
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/7-henrietta-street-dublin-1-dublin/107180

I don't see why that is necessary. Renovating such houses has huge tax advantages as announced in the budget (living cities initiative).

MouseTail wrote: »
    I don't see why that is necessary. Renovating such houses has huge tax advantages as announced in the budget (living cities initiative).

These large Georgian houses like the one on Henrietta st are of significant importance when it comes to our heritage and the state can't afford to prevent its further dilapidation.

I don't know If you've ever been on Henrietta st, if you haven't you should walk down it. It's one of the nicest streets in Dublin but could be so much nicer if some of the houses on it weren't in such a dilapidated state.

Buildings like them need as many tax incentives as necessary to return them to their former glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

If the new initiative, which basically has the State paying for the renovations for you, does not encourage this, I'll eat my hat.

These older run down houses will become very sought after now.

• Advertisement

I presume you mean tax credit s ,or small grants ,
    i cant see the government paying 100 per cent cost of house repairs ,
    to investors to fix or modernise an old house .
    AT A TIME its cutting services for old age pensioners and home carers allowance.

Advertisement