Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database Structure For Application

Options
  • 20-10-2013 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

I am in the process of working with a MySQL database for resource bookings for a community center (volunteered again)

I have many resources (rooms) with set opening and closing times (i.e. all rooms are available from 9am to 5pm daily except Sunday

Bookings are broken down into hourly slots

I have 3 tables in the database, Resources, Clients, Bookings.

Resources contains the time, date, booking ID
    Clients contains client information, client ID
    Bookings basically marries up Resources and clients to form a booking

Any tips on how i should proceed with DB, is what i have the leanest way of achieving this.

Thanks
    Very Sleepy Developer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

If I were doing that, I would probably move the date and time info associated with the booking to the bookings table, as that way you have largely unique information in each row of the resource/rooms table, and in the clients table. Under your approach it seems that for each booking, you would need to add a row in both the resources and booking tables, and potentially prepopulate the resources table for each slot to be booked, in turn linking them to the client in the booking. By moving the date/time as I mention, then all the "transactional" data is consolidated in one table, and the client/resources are largely static data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

As it is not a very complex application I keep it simple and would go with something like:

Room
    id *
    roomNum
    desc

Client
    id *
    clientInfo/etc

Booking
    id *
    clientID (Foreign key)
    roomID (Foreign key)
    bookingInfo/times/dates/etc

Room and Client tables holds static information, and the Booking table holds all the booking records.

Advertisement