Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new kindle?

Options
  • 19-10-2013 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

hi, i saw an ad for a new kindle on tv this week, is it the kindle fire that is out? i want it for reading .pdf and .docx and .pptx files. can the kindle read these? also if i get the non wifi version, what method of file transfer is used?
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Not too sure which Kindle you're referring to ... There's two main types
    1) Kindle PaperWhite (non-colour screens)
    2) Kindle Fire (colour screens)

Kindle will read the pdf, docx .. not to sure about ppt There may be the odd issue with PDF (not too sure if the missing/blank pages bug has been resolved).

From Amazon:
    - PaperWhite: Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion
    - Fire: Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, PCM/WAVE, OGG, WAV, MP4, AAC LC/LTP, HE-AACv1, HE-AACv2, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, HTML5, CSS3, MP4, 3GP, VP8(.webm), Audible Enhanced format (AAX)

All Kindle tablets come with WIFI. The higher end models come with WIFI + 3G.

For transferring files, you can use wifi or usb.
    - With wifi, you need send the file to a kindle account, wait a few minutes and sync your Kindle over wifi.
    - With USB, you connect to your computer/laptop via USB cable and use the Kindle as a USB-drive (i.e. copy/paste the files).

Advertisement