Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can seller end an auction on ebay ?

Options
  • 19-10-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

:( Been following an item faithfully which was due to end tomorrow.It was a 'bid only' auction. Now I find the seller prematurely ended the auction,relisted it with a 'buy it now' price and sold it.
    To add insult,I get an email from ebay telling me I can bid again some four hours after the item sold. ! ( I can't bid - the item is marked sold with the price )
    Can sellers prematurely end auctions ? That's really moving the goalposts.
    I've asked ebay for an explanation but has anybody had this problem before. ?
    cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Yes the seller can do this but not when there is less than 12 hours left. Somebody probably asked them for a Buy It Now price. It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Yes the seller can do this but not when there is less than 12 hours left. Somebody probably asked them for a Buy It Now price. It happens.

Thanks.
    so the auction date actually means nothing ? We bid until the auction date unless the seller happens to change his mind. Its a bit like someone announcing in the middle of a horse race that all bets are off ! This never happens in the real world, it makes me doubt the ethics of ebay, shame on them - they are not behaving as honest brokers - in fact they are dishonest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Pretty much. I think they are introducing new policies on sellers who frequently end auctions early.
    They will have to pay fees on the amount of the highest bid. However,I think this is to increase eBay's income and not to protect buyers. eBay are so big they can do whatever they feel like really.

Pretty much. I think they are introducing new policies on sellers who frequently end auctions early.
    They will have to pay fees on the amount of the highest bid. However,I think this is to increase eBay's income and not to protect buyers. eBay are so big they can do whatever they feel like really.

Thanks,
    sorry, got a bit emotional in post 3. ! Well, we live and learn. If ebay reply, I'll post on this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If a seller wants to cancel an item - here are the options given :
    • The item is no longer available for sale.
    • There was an error in the listing.
    • There was an error in starting price, Buy it now price, or reserve price.
    • The item was lost or broken.

• Advertisement

If a seller wants to cancel an item - here are the options given :
    • The item is no longer available for sale.
    • There was an error in the listing.
    • There was an error in starting price, Buy it now price, or reserve price.
    • The item was lost or broken.

Well, none of those apply in this case.It was relisted and sold almost immediately.I suppose a seller can always cite reason 2 - something like " I meant to include a buy-it-now price."
    Personally I think he saw that bidding was slow, the reserve was not met and he wanted to end it but its pretty unfair to those who naturally wait until the end of the auction to start bidding ?

Advertisement