Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Viola Player seeks quartet

• 19-10-2013 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Viola player - Dublin based.

Only an idea at the moment.

To form a quartet but to play different styles not just classical.

Ideally with a view to getting paid work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Hey,

I don't know if this would interest you but I have a band going at the moment and would love to try out some of the tunes with some strings if you'd be interested in coming along to a jam, or joining a band?

I'm a big fan of dEUS and Velvet Underground and would really love to try it out.
    I have a load of tunes here if you fancy having a listen:
    https://soundcloud.com/dermotbohan

I know it's not what you're looking for in your ad, so my apologies for that.

All the best,
    Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sweet_Dreams

doh777 wrote: »
    Viola player - Dublin based.

Only an idea at the moment.

To form a quartet but to play different styles not just classical.

Ideally with a view to getting paid work.

Hi doh777,
    I just noticed your thread - I'm interested in forming a quartet also.

I played in a string quartet before and we played for a number of weddings around Dublin. We played the usual light classical music and a lot of the 'fun' tunes aswell. :cool:

I've been out of the country for the last year and have only recently returned so I'm trying to get a new quartet started (previous members are living abroad or have other commitments unfortunately.) :(

I'm a violinist myself, and I know another violinist who may be interested in joining but I've been on the look out for a viola player and a cellist.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested in something like this and we can discuss it further! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭doh777

Sweet dreams I've pm'd you.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cdnmum

Hi there,

I play the flute at a good level (can provide references from my conductor) and have had an idea for quite some time now to form a flute and string quartet (flute, violin, viola, cello or two flutes, viola, cello). I have a bit of sheet music for this arrangement ready to go. I'm classically trained and my main performance experience is from playing in an orchestra setting or doing wedding/funeral/Christmas gigs but I'm also open to other genres and don't mind keeping it simple. Any takers on that idea? Wedding season's just around the corner...

Cheers,

Rachael

Hello. Trying to get a quartet together. Will stay in touch here perhaps.

thanks.

• Advertisement

Bump.

bump

i'll bump this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

I've been searching for a quartet too. I play cello but have begun as an adult and so am not at a very high standard yet. I'd be at about a Grade 3 standard. (Have played other instruments all my life so I'm musical generally)

Would that be of any use or are you looking for somebody with a bit more experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

Dow99 wrote: »
    I've been searching for a quartet too. I play cello but have begun as an adult and so am not at a very high standard yet. I'd be at about a Grade 3 standard. (Have played other instruments all my life so I'm musical generally)

Would that be of any use or are you looking for somebody with a bit more experience?

There's a plentiful repertoire for you to get started.

In your position, I'd go to string teachers in the area to see if they have adult learners who would be interested in joining a quartet. One of those teachers could be prevailed upon to host lessons (each of you paying 1/4 of the fee).

The key is
    a) find a viola player
    or
    b) convince a violin player to take up viola (there's a small learning curve with the instrument and the alto clef)

• Advertisement

thanks for reply dow

I think I would be looking for a higher standard.

I'm no expert but for material grade 5/6 and up would be what I'd be aiming for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Thanks for the tip Manchegan - will continue looking into it.

doh777 - not to worry. I figured as much but thought I'd chance it. Best of look with finding a group.

Advertisement