Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to choose a folding bike pls.

Options
  • 19-10-2013 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭

I've been asked to help in finding a suitable folding bike for a middle aged lady. So I would appreciate your help , thanks in advance.

Requirements are as follows in order of importance
    1.Simple operation of the folding mech and reinstatement back to bike.
    2.Needs to fit in car boot.
    3.the lighter the better ,
    4.don't need huge amount of gears
    5.cost is a consideration but not a huge issue but don't want a brompton.
    6. Need to touch and feel before purchase so online options are a long shot but feel free to educate me.
    7. Unbelievably ,looks are important :confused:
    8.Bike will only get sporadic urban use.

She has looked At the options in CSS, and my current suggestion would be to travel to decathlon Belfast and pick one out there.

Where else in dublin has a selection of decent folding bikes or can you recommend a particular model from experience.
    I appreciate your thoughts ,experience and suggestions.

I think this decathlon might fit the bill but could I get something similar in dublin .

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bfold-7-folding-bike-id_8208019.html

bfold-7-folding-bike-id_8208019.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Why not a Brompton?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Zen0 wrote: »
    Why not a Brompton?

1100 euro plus is too dear for sporadic use.
    So Other than price,a brompton would be fine
    The bike I posted is 249 sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Dawes do a range of folders from about 390.00 upwards they have about 4 or 5 Giant do a very good model called the Halfway from approx 650.00 I think and then there is Dahon again same category as Brompton expensive but good and light.

Believe it or not cheaper folders are not as light a people think considering their size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Bigus wrote: »
    1100 euro plus is too dear for sporadic use.
    So Other than price,a brompton would be fine
    The bike I posted is 249 sterling.

At that price point, there is nothing to choose between the various models. Halfords have some

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_categoryId_212415_langId_-1

and most local bike stores should have some, I think Raleigh do one or two models.

Advertisement