Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM took 600 EUR, no refund from BOI

Options
  • 18-10-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

600 EUR disappeared from my BOI bank account 3 weeks ago (27 September). I used my BOI Visa to try to get money from ATM in Dalkey (belonging to other bank - UB) twice and twice I have seen error message on the screen and no money out. Surprise at home: statement showing -600 + 600 - 600 EUR - so total charge 600 EUR for nothing! Logged the claim for refund with my BOI branch (Dublin Baggot Street) immediately. After 3 weeks response from BOI agent: refund refused and no details why. I asked BOI to produce the letter confirming the refund refuse, confirming that BOI contacted UB and why the overcharge is refused, was the ATM balanced at that time, how many credits were generated etc. etc. BOI agent told me she should talk to her Manager if such letter can be produced and kept me on hold for couple of minutes. After that I was told by BOI agent that BOI cannot produce such letter to me. Now after 3 weeks I still do not know if it was fraud or banking error.

it is very strange Bank is refusing to give a letter to customer and bank manager instructing customer service agent to give details over the phone but refuse details in writing - it simply make it more difficult for customer to follow up with other agencies.

Only recommendation I received from BOI agent is that I should raise exactly the same query with BOI second time with the same BOI people and maybe this may work this time after another 2 weeks. I did so but it sounds a bit strange/not professional as there are no new facts so how come raising the same query second time could help???. Was anyone in Ireland in similar situation with BOI or other bank? What should be my next steps?

Any advice? What are the steps to escalate it further? I do not want to leave as somebody has taken advantage of me. I am following this with BOI on the BOI thread but no real response from them to date, just push back. The promised to call me back but no contact. What should I do? 600 EUR is a lot of money. I tried to manage BOI banking fees and get 600 EUR off ATM once a month instead of 20 EUR 30 times but got caught.

Kind Regards,

Pawel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Have you tried to speak to UB?

You could raise your issue with the financial ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pawel2006

Fungus,

I called UB. I was told that I have to do all contacts via my bank (BOI) and they cannot give me any information as this is the banking procedure. To sum up, I am at the mercy of BOI.

Do you know how I can raise query with Ombudsman? BOI refused to give me any information in writing so I do not have any paper to confirm.

I was in shop today where the ATM is located and the Manager agreed to try to get me the CCTV records - so this should be helpful when dealing with Ombudsman.

Regards,

Pawel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

pawel2006 wrote: »
    Fungus,

I called UB. I was told that I have to do all contacts via my bank (BOI) and they cannot give me any information as this is the banking procedure. To sum up, I am at the mercy of BOI.

Do you know how I can raise query with Ombudsman? BOI refused to give me any information in writing so I do not have any paper to confirm.

I was in shop today where the ATM is located and the Manager agreed to try to get me the CCTV records - so this should be helpful when dealing with Ombudsman.

Regards,

Pawel

You need to follow the steps here http://financialombudsman.ie

The majority of cases are resolved with the FO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Duplicate thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement