Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lazy boots, looking for clues

Options
  • 18-10-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

hi )

I could research the hell outta this, or, i can ask people who have a clue, cos i dont have one.

what is the best "mifi" mobile wifi device available?

I'm thinking like a huweii or similar:

20132251428313438216.jpg

im moving to the countryside outside dublin, without internet, and im thinking, im going to have to buy one of these devices.

i have an experia tipo, which does have a wifi hotspot built in, but its not great. my girlfriends galaxy s3 has much faster wifi capability.

could anyone give me pointers please, as to what i should be looking at?

im currently on three, do these come as unlocked units, ready to put any simcard into?

thanks for reading,
    redd .

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What exactly are you looking for at the end of it....do you want a standalone plan or does it matter? How much data do you want?

You would be better testing operators with good coverage in your area, and working from that. It will be much more important than the device you use

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

thats a good idea Davy. a very good idea.

i just want internet, by hook or by crook.

I dont want to have to sign a contract, so its looking like three are my best option, with their 15gb for 20 euro "pay as you go" deal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Redd4 wrote: »
    thats a good idea Davy. a very good idea.

i just want internet, by hook or by crook.

I dont want to have to sign a contract, so its looking like three are my best option, with their 15gb for 20 euro "pay as you go" deal

Get a sim and try them. €10 topup and try the €5 500mb addon, not much to lose. Newer phones will be capable of high speeds, just depends exactly what model you have, but the tipo should be ok

sorry, i didnt explain myself properly i think. im looking for a performance hike. even in a town centre or in dublin city, i struggle to watch youtube vids with the tipo hotspot, its just not great.

i dont want to spend hundreds on a tablet phone lol, they are too big for me. - so i was thinking one of those mifi devices, im just wondering which one is particularly trendy (and unlocked) at the moment )

will something like this work on the Irish networks, are they compatible?

in case the link is dead on reading this, its a

ZTE MF91 4G LTE 100Mbps Mobile WiFi
    BRAND NEW, FACTORY UNLOCKED AND UNBRANDED Tri-Band 4G LTE FDD

from hong kong on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZTE-MF91-4G-LTE-100Mbps-Mobile-Broadband-Personal-WiFi-Hotspot-Modem-MF81-E589-/161023405961?pt=UK_Computing_Mobile_Broadband_Devices&hash=item257dbe2f89

• Advertisement

Redd4 wrote: »
    will something like this work on the Irish networks, are they compatible?
    Frequency (3G) UMTS 900/2100 MHz
    Frequency (2G) GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

That says it will work with the irish networks yes

Advertisement