Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best tethering option

Options
  • 18-10-2013 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all

I am looking for these best tethering option to use my laptop through my nokia lumia. I am trying to find the best provider with as much data as possible as I use the Internet a lot by streaming tv, football, movies etc. So an unlimited plan would be ideal. Providers like 02 offer 15gb a month on a sim deal (I am only looking for a simple deal). But, 15 gb would not last me a week never mind a month.
    Three Mobile offer unlimited data but do not allow tethering, well as far as I can make out anyway. If they did then this deal would be perfect on the rolling 30 contract for sim only. Is there a way I can override the block on tethering?

I also found that lyca mobile have unlimited data on a rolling 30 day contract but does anyone use this provider and is now the good and do they allow tethering?

I ask all this coz I only want a plan that covers my calls texts and data in one unlimited package. The dongles have too long contracts and still only offer a low amount of data, 10-15 gb mainly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

i use tethering with my three payg simcard.

they have a fair usage policy of 15gb, which in effect means their claim of "all you can eat data" is a load of b*****s.

however, its still the best deal available in Ireland, so far as i can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jimbobtravis

Redd4 wrote: »
    i use tethering with my three payg simcard.

they have a fair usage policy of 15gb, which in effect means their claim of "all you can eat data" is a load of b*****s.

however, its still the best deal available in Ireland, so far as i can tell.

Thanks red. But i just know the 15gb will not last me a week never mind a month. But i was sure that i seen on their terms and conditions that u can not tether unless u but a tethering add on or something like that. How much is that 15gb deal on payg? And what deals on the calls and texts are there?

ha, i was thinking today, everything comes with a caveat.

threes caveat goes like this: they say that if you top up by 20, you have unlimited data for a month.

this is not true.

a. you dont get unlimited data.
    b. you dont get it for the month.

as soon as you burn up your credit your data expires. i found this out the hard way the last two times i topped up.

landlines, other network during the week; havnt a clue, similar to the other networks, i would imagine.
    at the weekend landlines and other networks are free. which is handy enough.
    dunno how many texts, i dont think they are free at all. not sure.

sorry i cant be of more help!

if anyone knows of a better deal id love to hear about it. i dont think there is one in Ireland though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

as soon as you burn up your credit your data expires. i found this out the hard way the last two times i topped up.

That is not the case, you have the data to use even if you spend the €20 topup on day 1 of 30

Davy i dont mean to argue or contradict, but its happened me twice in the last two months. the first time i was suspicious, the second time i was certain, and sickened.

i could be wrong? - but i dont think so

also, now that i think about it, i was trying to use the net with it, and i got a message saying, out of credit. as opposed to out of time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Davy i dont mean to argue or contradict, but its happened me twice in the last two months. the first time i was suspicious, the second time i was certain, and sickened.

i could be wrong? - but i dont think so

also, now that i think about it, i was trying to use the net with it, and i got a message saying, out of credit. as opposed to out of time.

Are you sure you were inside your 30 days AYCE data allowance on my3?

You can't use the bonus credit for a lot of things, buying addons etc, are you thinking of that?

Well I wouldn't want that to happen to me, but three do offer a simple only bill pay with unlimited data. How could u run out of credit then? If someone with a technical mind could help me coz I am sure there is a way of overriding the tethering block. Three UK have this One Plan deal where u buy a tether add on, but I can not see this anywhere for three.ie. Bloody Ireland behind the times with everything!!

Again, have anybody ye used lyca mobile? They offer unlimited data calls and texts for a decent price on a 30 day rolling sim contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

If someone with a technical mind could help me coz I am sure there is a way of overriding the tethering block. Three UK have this One Plan deal where u buy a tether add on, but I can not see this anywhere for three.ie. Bloody Ireland behind the times with everything!!

I tether all the time without hiding it, no need to hide tether, at least not yet anyway.

Thanks tech guy, but could I ask what provider and plan do u have? I really need an unlimited data plan.

The following is taken from three.ie 'all u can eat data' terms and conditions;

"5. The Service is available for use with your SIM Card in your handset only. Tethering or use of your handset as, or the SIM in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed, except in the case of Three customers who have subscribed to a Three handset and Tablet bundle offering. In the event that we identify that you have breached this condition, Three reserves the right to suspend, modify or restrict your use of the Service or to withdraw your access to the Service at its absolute discretion."

Does this mean that I can tether but not really allowed to?

Advertisement