Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

statute barred debt

Options
  • 18-10-2013 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I have a personal unsecured debt over 6 years old and have received no communication about this debt until today when i received a letter to my place of work saying it had been handed over to a debt collection agency who will be in touch in the next 14 days. My question is if i have received no communication and made no payment since 2006 is this statute barred and can this agency chase me? Can they also send me letters in work as clearly they do not have my home address and i did not work here six years ago.

How do i handle this if they call or contact me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

vandis wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a personal unsecured debt over 6 years old...

How do i handle this if they call or contact me.

You just acknowledged the debt, clock restarted, pay up :pac:

There are many excellent sources of legal information, MABS, FLAB, a solicitor - boards.ie ain't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vandis

I haven't acknowledged the debt to anyone. I haven't spoken to any one. I received a letter to my place of work but have not responded to it.

Do i just ignore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

vandis wrote: »
    I haven't acknowledged the debt to anyone. I haven't spoken to any one. I received a letter to my place of work but have not responded to it.

Do i just ignore?

Can't give advice it's against the rules of the Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vandis

Oh. Sorry. :(

New to posting. Haven't ever posted looking for advice before.

Thanks for letting me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

I hope that this is sufficiently vague so that it doesn't breach the charter:

There is a distinction between a cause of action (ie. a right to sue) and an actual debt.

The Statute of Limitations only extinguishes one of these.

• Advertisement
Advertisement