Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Accountants in Canada-(Calgary)

Options
  • 18-10-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All

I was hoping to get some information on what it is like for Irish Qualified accountants(ACCA) getting jobs in Canada, or specifically in Calgary.

Do employers in Canada recognise ACCA, or would it be wise to applyfor membership to CGA through the MRA agreement?

I am hoping to move to Calgary with my boyfriend in early 2014, and would like to have a job sorted or have an idea on what to expect before I head over.

Any advice at all would be great thanks.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Countryboy2013

Hi Dizee Lizzie,

I moved over to Calgary during the summer, ACCA myself, I applied for membership under the MRA Cost $1,600 took about 7 weeks to get it.
    It took me about 3 Months to get a good job I wanted , But I got lucky in my opinion, and am on double now then what I was on Dublin so happy days. I would advise making sure you have plenty saved or willing to take a job to keep you going like I did to eventually get what you want.
    But you may be waiting a long time, don't expect to land a good job straight after coming off plane, there is no guarantees.
    Some employers recognize ACCA some don't so I would advise getting the MRA if you plan to stay long term or it will make things hard.
    Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DizeeLizzie

Hi Dizee Lizzie,

I moved over to Calgary during the summer, ACCA myself, I applied for membership under the MRA Cost $1,600 took about 7 weeks to get it.
    It took me about 3 Months to get a good job I wanted , But I got lucky in my opinion, and am on double now then what I was on Dublin so happy days. I would advise making sure you have plenty saved or willing to take a job to keep you going like I did to eventually get what you want.
    But you may be waiting a long time, don't expect to land a good job straight after coming off plane, there is no guarantees.
    Some employers recognize ACCA some don't so I would advise getting the MRA if you plan to stay long term or it will make things hard.
    Hope this helps :)
    Thanks for that information CountryBoy!! I am hoping to head over around April, so I will try and have everything sorted by then.
    From what I am reading from the forums anyway it seems that it is common to start off in a more junior posistion and to work your way up from that.

Is going through recruiters the best way to get work?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

I plan on going to Calgary around November.

Is going through recruiters the best way to get work? Is there many finance positions in Calgary?

Any advice would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ted410

Hi All

I was hoping to get some information on what it is like for Irish Qualified accountants(ACCA) getting jobs in Canada, or specifically in Calgary.

Do employers in Canada recognise ACCA, or would it be wise to applyfor membership to CGA through the MRA agreement?

I am hoping to move to Calgary with my boyfriend in early 2014, and would like to have a job sorted or have an idea on what to expect before I head over.

Any advice at all would be great thanks.;)

Hey DizeeLizzie,

I know its 3 years later but I just seen your post there and I am in a similar situation to you now. I am recently qualified with CPA Ireland. I am hoping to move to Canada next year sometime. I worked in practice for 3 and half years but I am hoping to move to industry in Canada.

Just wondering if you could provide any advice please.

Thanks,

I am working in industry in Canada. I am going to be honest I found it hard getting work here at the start. I found it was based on who you know here rather than your qualifications. I had to take a junior role first but once I was established in the company it was easier to get the more senior role. I enjoy working here now. I got my qualifications recognised over here. It cost about a grand and I also have two years to do some tax exam which also cost some money to do. One thing I noticed is you have to pay full membership fees here, you don't get a discount for paying the fees at home as well. What part of Canada are you thinking of going to?

• Advertisement

noveltea wrote: »
    I am working in industry in Canada. I am going to be honest I found it hard getting work here at the start. I found it was based on who you know here rather than your qualifications. I had to take a junior role first but once I was established in the company it was easier to get the more senior role. I enjoy working here now. I got my qualifications recognised over here. It cost about a grand and I also have two years to do some tax exam which also cost some money to do. One thing I noticed is you have to pay full membership fees here, you don't get a discount for paying the fees at home as well. What part of Canada are you thinking of going to?

Hey Noveltea,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking of going to Toronto.

Did you become a member of CGA?

Thanks,

Yes I did. It's fairly straightforward. We are lucky that our qualification is recognised straight away where as a good few people I work with from Aisa have to sit the exams all over again. It might be different in Toronto re getting jobs but in Calgary I found it's who you know and getting the first break was the hardest part.

noveltea wrote: »
    Yes I did. It's fairly straightforward. We are lucky that our qualification is recognised straight away where as a good few people I work with from Aisa have to sit the exams all over again. It might be different in Toronto re getting jobs but in Calgary I found it's who you know and getting the first break was the hardest part.

Appreciate your advice. I just have one more query if you don't mind. Did you find it necessary to become a member of CGA?

Thanks,

For me it was more recruiters that were interested in if you had the Cad qualification or not. I found that as I did not have it that they were sending me out to jobs that I was way over qualified for. My own company not really interested in if I got it or not.

Advertisement