Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay : Is this a scam / what is the seller at?

Options
  • 18-10-2013 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

I won an ebay auction for some furniture in the UK yesterday, paid the full amount by paypal quickly & started to organise transport.
    Then last night ,the seller said that he could no take the money from paypal ( he had...I checked) as there was a problem & he had no 'seller protection' for the transaction. He said the only way to proceed was to give a paypal refund & for me to pay by cash / transfer.

The suddenly this morning, I have a paypal refund for the full amount.
    I've acted in good faith by paying promptly- can I make him sell , complete the transaction or resolve his apparent problem of ' seller protection'?

Should I open a dispute as he is being unreasonable or let the whole thing go?...or is this some sort of scam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I think what the seller is worried about is that you could pick up the goods and then open a dispute with paypal claiming that you have not received the items. The seller would not be able to prove you had by showing postage receipt etc.

I think that is probably why the seller wants you to pay cash on pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

True - but the item is collection only, there was no postage option & I have to pay for the courier. Is there anyway around this?

Seems like he wants to meet the person he is selling to the ....which really isnt the point of an online auction. Can I dispute this or let is slip....am not going to pay by any other means than paypal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

How about a link - even to the seller so that we can have a look through his feedback? Personally, I would walk at the first sign of problems with a transaction on eBay and you have your money back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ligne-Rose-Togo-modular-furniture-/281185235560

Not sure if this will do it - any advice appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

While the feedback is okay, it's small and he only has sold one other item in 4 years on eBay. It could be down to inexperience or perhaps he now regrets letting the furniture go for a song? Either way, I would give up on the transaction and on a personal basis I would never dream of buying a high value item from a seller with a feedback of only 25 - especially spread over 4 years. Good luck. :)

• Advertisement

Just to give you an update on how this worked out.

I got in contact with the seller & spoke with him on the phone. It turns out that he had been contacedt by paypal & told that the transaction was likely a money laundering exercise, they could not be sure that any transaction was really taking place, that he had no seller cover as a result & not to proceed with it. Paypal did their best to stop the transaction going ahead.

We talked it through & he was happy to proceed if the person collecting it signed a receipt & he took photos etc.. The good were collected & have received them - all is exactly as described.

Only sting is that i paid Paypal in Euros for a Sterling transaction which was then refunded via paypal on the same day. There is some difference in the exchange rate that Paypal uses for payment & refunds, & I lost €50 in the difference in exchanges rates applied on the same day between the payment & the refund.
    thanks to all for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

sounds like a sneaky manouvere by Paypal to make a few extra quid.
    Reminds me of why I dont use Paypal & Ebay anymore..
    Out of curosity, would you be able to provide the rates and the actual date. Would love to see what rate they gave vs the actual
    Glad to hear things worked out in the end

Advertisement