Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying vs backing

Options
  • 18-10-2013 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Folks, I'm looking on Betfair here and I am obviously not getting it ... Here is what I mean. Tomorrow Soton with +1 are at odds of 2.38. So if they draw or win then with a stake of 58p I will collect £1.38. If utd win then I lose my stake ... -58p Now, Utd are available to lay at 1.58 So if I take a lay liability of 58p and utd don't win, ie Soton draw or win then I win £1 However if utd win then I lose my 58p What am I doing wrong in this basic example becasue as far as I can see, backing Soton with a +1 handicap is the same as Laying Utd, yet the winniings on the former are far more than the latter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

There is less profit on the former because you only win €0.80 if Utd don't win (return of €1.38 less stake of €0.58) compared to return of 1.58 in the latter - all ignoring commission obviously.

The market in the former just isn't fully formed yet. It will be 2.65 (or maybe bigger) on Betfair by kick-off. Also the high street will try to squeeze more margin out of the peripheral markets like the handicaps so the prices are stingier. At the moment people on Betfair are merely matching the best high street price in the hope of someone taking it and then they can bet it higher tomorrow.

Advertisement