Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backwoods Group

Options
  • 18-10-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi
    Anyone aware of any active backwoods group who welcome new members. I have come across one who have no capacity they tell me for new members. I am by no means new to this, I would just appreciate the company and advice of others in practice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "Backwoods Group"?

Would a Bushcraft group meet your requirements?

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

Backwoods, much the same as outback or the back of beyond / middle of nowhere or as some people call it The Sticks,

Yes there is a group on this site that have their own very good site at the link below, all you need do to join is go on there mailing list,

I believe they would like to bring newcomers along when they have space but the numbers are limited due to the size of the area they are allowed to use or it could be down to insurance.. I cant remember which of the 2 problems stops them taking on more like minded people but its worth a shot,

I joined the list in the hope of getting on the Munster meet some time back but had no joy as yet, Have done a bit of hammocking over the past year myself to try out some of the things I learnt on “you tube” and to my amazement they worked,

Two friends of mine bought hammocks and tarps after I had told them how good I felt after a night in the woods… that was around 6 months back and I think I could safely say that their gear has never been set up, yet every time I tell them about a trip they want me to let them know the next time I’m going camping.. But when I do tell them they then wait till the last minute to drop out,

I’m sure if they tried it once they would be hooked, So check out the link below and if you do find another club starting up and taking on new members please do give me a shout… While I find it nice to be out on your lonesome in the middle of nowhere with ones senses highly active it would be nice to have someone to learn more from,

http://www.irishbushcraftclub.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Just a thought, couldn't somebody with a bit of a plot of land 'invite' a few likeminded people for a weekend to practice and learn bushcraft without it being too official? Obviously the property owner could have a disclaimer in place to indemnify him/her ie: cut yourself with your Mora or trip up over a bulging tree root and twist your ankle and you can't sue the land owner. It could even become a regular occurrence if everybody played ball. A sort of unofficial survival group.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Danpad wrote: »
    Just a thought, couldn't somebody with a bit of a plot of land 'invite' a few likeminded people for a weekend to practice and learn bushcraft without it being too official? Obviously the property owner could have a disclaimer in place to indemnify him/her ie: cut yourself with your Mora or trip up over a bulging tree root and twist your ankle and you can't sue the land owner. It could even become a regular occurrence if everybody played ball. A sort of unofficial survival group.

I have the land and some interest in this, how many people are ye actually talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

I don't have any numbers or actual plan in mind, was just thinking out loud. But I like the idea too :-)

• Advertisement

A little more thinking out loud.

I have 9 acres 4 is forestry, a mountain stream runs along one boundary.

The area is pretty isolated yet within walking (hiking) distance of a village.

Its near the top of a mountain and the area is completely surrounded by forestry.

On a good day you can see mountain goats and wild dear, I've also spotted a hare or two.

In my opinion its an ideal location for a bushman group to camp and try out their skills.

I just wonder how someone would go about getting enough people interested in the idea.

I'd be open minded enough to invite like minded individuals to use the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I'd be well interested in this. Have a big interest in bushcraft/survival and har done a good bit of wild camping, and always willing to learn. Did the three weekend courses with MacTire bushcraft this year and would highly recommend that to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Hi Guys,

I am a member of the Irish Bushcraft Club. As mentioned previously we are restricted on numbers when it comes to the sites we have. Which is unfortunate as it restricts the number of new comers that can attend when we have open meets.

However there is a club just after organising itself in Carlow based off the same principle. I know the founder and he is a good friend. You can find them here. At the moment he is hunting around for a bit of land for the club. You can contact him here

http://lbushcraftclub.wix.com/lbushcraftclub

We are actively encouraging other clubs to form in Ireland and are always will to help. Go to our site and drop us a mail if you want to chat to us about possibly starting a club. The leg work has been done already. So if you are motivated enough and put a little effort you, you can get something organised with not too much effort

If there is any interest in getting a group up and running (North Tipperary area) feel free to pm me.

If an existing group wants to use the land for a few nights it's available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

Its near the top of a mountain and the area is completely surrounded by forestry.

On a good day you can see mountain goats and wild dear, I've also spotted a hare or two.

In my opinion its an ideal location for a bushman group to camp and try out their skills.

I just wonder how someone would go about getting enough people interested in the idea.

I'd be well up for that. Could you keep me posted if you decide to take this further? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ihatehalloween

Thanks for all the replies....I always knew this activity as backwoods and the bushcraft group mentioned here is one I had registered with but any activity I saw was for more experienced members.

If any of these ideas mentioned here come to fruition please keep me informed.

Hi F W T

Sounds like you have just set the seeds for a new Bushcraft club in North Tipperary, It sounds great to me as I’m not too far away and would be over the moon to join others or just be able to use an area where I’m not worried about being woken and asked to move on,

Had planned a 2 day trip last Monday but when I went to see the site I found I had to travel a long way over muddy ground just to get there and with the promise of a lot more rain over the following 2 days I decided to wait for either a drier or much colder spell that would harden up the ground in the area,

I really do hope this works out for you and all involved, the folk at the Bush craft club will be able to share a lot of do’s and don’ts as they have been at it for some time now so I reckon a chat with them will help you,

I will be following this with great interest and look forward to an invite somewhere down the line

mann wrote: »
    Hi F W T

Sounds like you have just set the seeds for a new Bushcraft club in North Tipperary, It sounds great to me as I’m not too far away and would be over the moon to join others or just be able to use an area where I’m not worried about being woken and asked to move on,

Had planned a 2 day trip last Monday but when I went to see the site I found I had to travel a long way over muddy ground just to get there and with the promise of a lot more rain over the following 2 days I decided to wait for either a drier or much colder spell that would harden up the ground in the area,

I really do hope this works out for you and all involved, the folk at the Bush craft club will be able to share a lot of do’s and don’ts as they have been at it for some time now so I reckon a chat with them will help you,

I will be following this with great interest and look forward to an invite somewhere down the line

Invite is open.

Thank you for the your comments.

I have the land and its unused, save for a herd of deer and a few goats. I am aware that there are people that are well into their outdoor pursuits and foraging etc etc.

I am open to people that have an interest using the land, but I also feel that these groups don't just happen.

I have asked people to PM me if interested, not one PM dropped into my inbox, but several people have said they were interested, seriously lads it won't happen unless someone is prepared to get of their ar*e and try to make it happen.

I think that in these groups people bring to the table what they can contribute, a location is about the biggest thing any of these groups requires.

Lets try again...Location available for outdoor survivalist/backwoods/bushman group, feel free to PM if genuinely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ron jambo

:eek:
    Invite is open.

Thank you for the your comments.

I have the land and its unused, save for a herd of deer and a few goats. I am aware that there are people that are well into their outdoor pursuits and foraging etc etc.

I am open to people that have an interest using the land, but I also feel that these groups don't just happen.

I have asked people to PM me if interested, not one PM dropped into my inbox, but several people have said they were interested, seriously lads it won't happen unless someone is prepared to get of their ar*e and try to make it happen.

I think that in these groups people bring to the table what they can contribute, a location is about the biggest thing any of these groups requires.

Lets try again...Location available for outdoor survivalist/backwoods/bushman group, feel free to PM if genuinely interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ihatehalloween

ron jambo wrote: »
    :eek:

How about yourself Ron?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

mann wrote: »

Two friends of mine bought hammocks and tarps after I had told them how good I felt after a night in the woods… that was around 6 months back and I think I could safely say that their gear has never been set up,

http://www.irishbushcraftclub.org/

I would be willing to take a couple of hammocks at the right price if they want to change their minds. Can guarantee they will get use (after the clocks go forward again).

Seriously lads it won't happen unless someone is prepared to get of their ar*e and try to make it happen

PM Sent :) Roll on the snow :cool:

I would be willing to take a couple of hammocks at the right price if they want to change their minds. Can guarantee they will get use (after the clocks go forward again).

Hi,

I will ask when I see them next and let you know, I bought a nylon type car cover from either Lidl or Aldi a couple of weeks back and they look like the same material as the DD Hammock, at around €14 they would make a cheap strong Hammock, right now I'm torn between covering the car or using it as a hammock,

The DD Hammock I bought is totally not breathable which means no matter how cold it is I wake in the morning as damp as can be,
    the inside of the hammock has to be dried before I fold it up in case it causes mildew,
    It don't tell you that on the packet :(

I have now received several PMs, thanks lads.

I will respond to them over the weekend, we might even have someone prepared to take a look the area and provide a report on its suitability before the new year.

Fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 prepperballs

Just thought i'd throw this link up in case you lads haven't noticed already, I would also be very interested if you get something going!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315103&page=24

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

PM sent.

Cmon lads this would be great to make happen. Opportunities like this are rare as hens teeth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement