Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website conversion advice (.net to php)

Options
  • 18-10-2013 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to convert a website from the existing .net/classic asp architecture to PHP. Its purely for ease of maintenance going forward.

The website is a small brochure site that lets the administrator add jobs that are displayed on the website. Visitors can then apply for the jobs and upload their CV's. That's pretty much it.

I am wondering what PHP framework would suit my requirements. i.e. one that enables simple CRUD operations and if possible makes it east to have an administrator area.

Would there be a module for something like CMS made simple that could help with the administraion of the jobs ?

Thank you for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

grahamor wrote: »
    Hi,

I need to convert a website from the existing .net/classic asp architecture to PHP. Its purely for ease of maintenance going forward.

The website is a small brochure site that lets the administrator add jobs that are displayed on the website. Visitors can then apply for the jobs and upload their CV's. That's pretty much it.

I am wondering what PHP framework would suit my requirements. i.e. one that enables simple CRUD operations and if possible makes it east to have an administrator area.

Would there be a module for something like CMS made simple that could help with the administraion of the jobs ?

Thank you for any advice

Ease of maintenance whats your criteria for making that decision?

Is it that you can't write C#?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

I don't have the source code anymore ! Unless i can decompile the existing website somehow ?

I also use a mac, so making changes means doing so in my day job on a PC which isn't ideal .

• Registered Users Posts: 34 onlinemonkey

Have a look at Drupal. It's an opensource PHP based CMS with an active community and loads of plugins so you don't have to get your hands too dirty. The only down side is if you want to programme parts of the site yourself, it can be a pain to get your head around the hooks if you never have looked at it before.

I don't have the source code anymore ! Unless i can decompile the existing website somehow ?

I also use a mac, so making changes means doing so in my day job on a PC which isn't ideal .

Yeah just decompile it, http://www.jetbrains.com/decompiler/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Looking at the complexity of the existing site, use one of the off the shelf job sites/scripts. You can get them in almost any flavour and a lot of them support fairly extensive customisation.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Looking at the complexity of the existing site, use one of the off the shelf job sites/scripts. You can get them in almost any flavour and a lot of them support fairly extensive customisation.

You have no idea whats going on in the backend.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

ChRoMe wrote: »
    You have no idea whats going on in the backend.....

Apart from the subtle hint in the OP:

Graham wrote: »
    Apart from the subtle hint in the OP:

Heh.. if I had a penny etc etc, he doesn't have access to the source....

edit: i'm not saying definitively that you are wrong, but neither of you are in a position to accurately gauge the complexity of that app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭Talisman

There is a customised distribution of Drupal called Recruiter which is the foundation for building an e-recruitment service. Demo site: drupaljobs.epiqo.com.

Advertisement